Turks shoot down Russian jet

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
skb12172

Re: Turks shoot down Russian jet

Post by skb12172 »

How well could the Turks match up with Russia if NATO leaves them hanging? BTW, even in military literature, a pretty common theme is Do Not Fuck With Johnny Turk.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
randy

Post by randy »

Depends on how stupid the Russians are in picking the type of campaign they wage.

Stand off and pound with cruise missiles, probably do pretty well.

Try to move in ground forces to occupy parts of Turkey, probably make Chechnya look like a cake walk.

And unless they want the Black Sea fleet to be nothing but a regional naval militia, they would need to seize and hold the land on either side of the Dardanelles. I understand there's a nice beach at a place called Gallipoli they could land at.

That also begs the question of how far they can push this without NATO deciding to play.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

In this day and age, I don't think NATO is going to risk WWIII to bail out an Islamic country. Even if they are a member. I also do not think that will dissolve the alliance.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

There is a story going around that Turkey has closed the Dardanelles and Bosporus to Russian vessels, including their navy in the Black Sea and Mediterranean. This could go south badly.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Darrell wrote:There is a story going around that Turkey has closed the Dardanelles and Bosporus to Russian vessels, including their navy in the Black Sea and Mediterranean. This could go south badly.
Other rumour is Erdogans son is the liason to ISIS, the Russians have been pushing that one at least. If they get ahold of him expect him confessing on TV to Assad before being dissapeared and pieces slowly sent back to Turkey.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop