Collateral Damage? Nyet! Beneficial Extras!

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
toad

Collateral Damage? Nyet! Beneficial Extras!

Post by toad »

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/syria/a ... 51011.aspx
Apparently trying to hide from Russian air strikes in hospitals, mosques, and among the civilian population doesn't work.
Grim but hilarious. IIRC it was Stalin who said, "If a man is causing a problem, no man, no problem." It looks like the Russians really, really, don't give a ding if some newspaper wiener call them brutal, but of course you don't hear much from the lame stream press about this.
HTRN

Re: Collateral Damage? Nyet! Beneficial Extras!

Post by HTRN »

toad wrote:It looks like the Russians really, really, don't give a ding if some newspaper wiener call them brutal, but of course you don't hear much from the lame stream press about this.
Oh they care. They just throw them in prison on a variety of ridiculous charges, if it ever gets printed. The State wholly owns the Russian Press...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

Russia says it is sending only “volunteers”. This is a policy adopted in [strike]Ukraine[/strike] Spain in the 1930's
Fixed it for them
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Who was it that said "War should be hell, lest we become too fond of it."?

We (meaning the US) used to not care so much about collateral damage. How many thousands of homes and businesses did we rubble during WWII in France, Germany, and Japan? As long as there was a military objective, screw the civilians. Ask the residents of Dresden and Hiroshima about collaateral damage.

I don't necessarily agree with Putin's stance in the Middle East, but it looks like they're doing it exactly right. If the occasional hospital or mosque gets mistakenly bombed, as long as there is a military objective, it goes in the collateral column.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

They need to use unexpended ordinance on mosques, not just bomb them accidentally. "Mosque" is code for "FOB."
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

IIRC, Hiroshima (the ENTIRE city) was a legitimate military target since the Japanese military disbursed their military manufacturing throughout the civilian population, reasoning that keeping it in large identifiable factories made targeting them far too easy for the Americans.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Jered

Post by Jered »

Hiding military targets in a mosque or a hospital is a war crime.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Jered wrote:Hiding military targets in a mosque or a hospital is a war crime.
It also makes the mosque or hospital a legitimate military target, which is why it was forbidden under applicable teaties. I don't think ISIS/Al-Queda/Hamas, etc, etc, are signatory to any of those treaties, so observing the formalities is not required.

If you want your sick and wounded to be treated with mercy and gentleness, (ie, we won't bomb the roof off of it,) then don't store military goods in the hospital.

And yeah, these days a mosque should be considered an FOB.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Termite

Post by Termite »

IIRC,

In WWII, the 8th Air Force actually made an effort to avoid bombing several churches in Germany(Lutherian and Roman-Catholic churches... IIRC) that had historical value.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Termite wrote:IIRC,

In WWII, the 8th Air Force actually made an effort to avoid bombing several churches in Germany(Lutherian and Roman-Catholic churches... IIRC) that had historical value.
I'm told that the 11th AF also avoided a huge factory in Cologne (Ford-Werke), not because it was a Ford factory, but because they wanted to use the building during the occupation that was o follow the war. When you move in to occupy, you need some buildings with roofs to keep the rain off the victorious occupiers.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House