War and more War

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Baja boy

War and more War

Post by Baja boy »

B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
Liberals: all about choice UNTIL you choose differently than them.
Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
Vonz90

Re: War and more War

Post by Vonz90 »

Bah, Humbug. As for me, I am praying for war now, because it will only be more ugly if we wait.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote:
Bah, Humbug. As for me, I am praying for war now, because it will only be more ugly if we wait.
+1. Better to be proactive than weak. And doing any necessary fighting on the other guy's territory is always a plus.

In general, civilized powers have *always* acted as policemen as far as they were reasonably able. It was good for their security (and prestige, which was good for their security) and their trade. Brigands and pirates benefit no one.

We just live in an insane age, with pacifist 'powers' who abdicate their responsibilities and call it a virtue.

Nothing wrong with acting as a policeman when its in our interests. Problem is when we have a government that has no intention to further our interests.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Because NATO. And our other allies in general.

The US is the only NATO member meeting its obligation to spend at least 2% of its GDP on its military. The only one on track to reach that right now is Poland, who is expected to at some point in the next five years.

Pretty much everyone is using us for their collective security. The UK, France and Germany have been making huge budget cuts that've made certain efforts like launching aircraft carriers and replacing outdated machine guns extremely difficult. Canada lacks anti-tank and anti-air capabilities. South Korea and Japan are kinda picking up the slack, the latter of which scares people. (It shouldn't, they're too damn old to fight anyone. Seriously, they sell more adult diapers than child ones now.)

It's why so many of these countries have extravagant social programs. They're spending all their money on those, while we pay for the bombs, bullets and billy clubs.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Jericho941 wrote: Pretty much everyone is using us for their collective security. The UK, France and Germany have been making huge budget cuts that've made certain efforts like launching aircraft carriers and replacing outdated machine guns extremely difficult. Canada lacks anti-tank and anti-air capabilities. South Korea and Japan are kinda picking up the slack, the latter of which scares people. (It shouldn't, they're too damn old to fight anyone. Seriously, they sell more adult diapers than child ones now.)
The EUnuchs were begging us for bombs to use on Libya.

And who the fuck can take someone that makes Clickme those kinds of recruitment advertisements seriously?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Jericho941 wrote:South Korea and Japan are kinda picking up the slack, the latter of which scares people. (It shouldn't, they're too damn old to fight anyone. Seriously, they sell more adult diapers than child ones now.)
Seeing how if there is one country in the world that who could/would fight a war using robots it's them I don't know that they will need that much manpower. The Chinese are building aircraft carriers and if Japan does not want to become a vassal state sometime in the next 50 years they are going to have to as well.

Long term the two things we need to be worried about are A) worldwide stability and B) our own national interests. Being a large economic powerful country with a large military allows us to do both of those, if the tools at hand are used properly. Note that "Promoting Freedom and Democracy" is not one of the items we are to worry about. It's great when we can, but often it's better for everyone involved if we support a strong man who can keep a lid on things than every single little group that purports to want democracy and the resultant anarchy that creates. We've tried the isolationist thing before. It did not work out.

This of course does not mean we get involved in every little thing around the world. We need to pick our battle and be smart about it. Where items A and/or B are threatened we should do something about it.
Jered wrote:And who the fuck can take someone that makes Clickme those kinds of recruitment advertisements seriously?
Ahh but that's what they want you to think!
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Jered wrote:
Jericho941 wrote: Pretty much everyone is using us for their collective security. The UK, France and Germany have been making huge budget cuts that've made certain efforts like launching aircraft carriers and replacing outdated machine guns extremely difficult. Canada lacks anti-tank and anti-air capabilities. South Korea and Japan are kinda picking up the slack, the latter of which scares people. (It shouldn't, they're too damn old to fight anyone. Seriously, they sell more adult diapers than child ones now.)
The EUnuchs were begging us for bombs to use on Libya.
Oh I know, I keyed the jets that did it. :twisted: Among other things...
And who the fuck can take someone that makes Clickme those kinds of recruitment advertisements seriously?
Y'know... :lol:

But at the same time, being put through a ridiculous song-and-dance routine that looks incredibly gay is a far more accurate depiction of daily military life than anything involving RHIBs, Keith David and Godsmack. Especially when the deployment boredom sets in.

For a more recent look into weird Japanese military videos: Bo-Emon!
Kommander wrote:Seeing how if there is one country in the world that who could/would fight a war using robots it's them I don't know that they will need that much manpower. The Chinese are building aircraft carriers and if Japan does not want to become a vassal state sometime in the next 50 years they are going to have to as well.
I'm cool with it if the worst case scenario involves me getting to punch a robo-samurai with a power fist.

But seriously, I think that Japan's situation and the territorial disputes in SEA are why we've been refocusing our attention there, rather than the middle east. We can encourage rational state actors to continue to be rational. The middle east can more or less burn. It'd also explain our renewed interest in Africa, given China's grip on the continent.
Long term the two things we need to be worried about are A) worldwide stability and B) our own national interests. Being a large economic powerful country with a large military allows us to do both of those, if the tools at hand are used properly. Note that "Promoting Freedom and Democracy" is not one of the items we are to worry about. It's great when we can, but often it's better for everyone involved if we support a strong man who can keep a lid on things than every single little group that purports to want democracy and the resultant anarchy that creates. We've tried the isolationist thing before. It did not work out.

This of course does not mean we get involved in every little thing around the world. We need to pick our battle and be smart about it. Where items A and/or B are threatened we should do something about it.
Pretty much, yeah.