Potassium Iodide,

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Weetabix

Re: Potassium Iodide,

Post by Weetabix »

Where does one find maps of likely targets and plume paths?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

US Nuclear Targets

Those are war targets.
Get a list of nearby nuclear plants as well, and a common prevailing wind map for your area, and work it out for yourself for your area.
As a rule, anything vaguely southwest of you is a problem.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Around here, the prevailing wind is normally out of the northwest, but I get your point.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Jered

Post by Jered »

Aesop wrote:US Nuclear Targets

Those are war targets.
Get a list of nearby nuclear plants as well, and a common prevailing wind map for your area, and work it out for yourself for your area.
Almost everything on that map is south-west of me.

:lol:

Fortunately, there's some hills between a nuclear blast and me.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Aesop wrote:US Nuclear Targets

Those are war targets.
Throwing a partial flag on this one. I have no clue where they got their info, and if it's validated, but they missed at least two HUGE ones in PA that I've been told were in Russia's top 5 nuke targets.

NAVICP Mechanicsburg and NAVICP Philadelphia (Philly is on as a secondary target). Naval Inventory Control Point, stores and manages all of the Department of the Navy's supply parts, along with basing lots of their computer systems and databases.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Primary:
Bremerton (submarine base), Fairchild AFB (SAC bombers, Spokane), McChord AFB (Tacoma).
Bremerton isn't a sub base, it just cuts them up. It's home to some aircraft carriers and a large mothball fleet though. (Bangor is the sub base)

Pretty much anything in the bowl between the Olympics and Cascades is screwed.
randy

Post by randy »

Jericho941 wrote:
Primary:
Bremerton (submarine base), Fairchild AFB (SAC bombers, Spokane), McChord AFB (Tacoma).
Bremerton isn't a sub base, it just cuts them up. It's home to some aircraft carriers and a large mothball fleet though. (Bangor is the sub base)

Is Fairchild still a bomber base? If so, does it still have a nuclear mission? I thought I read a while ago about the Weapons Storage Area being demolished and freeing up the land for other purposes.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Boys and girls, bear in mind that the nuclear targets lists were drawn up waaaaay back in the 1980s, pre-BRAC I&II, when we still had a military.
Back then, March AFB, somewhat near me, was SAC HQ West, as opposed to now, where it's mainly a breeding ground for wild jackrabbits.
Similar changes have occurred in many locales, compared to then.

Make some appropriate updated adjustments.

And realize that the Russians and Chicoms, let alone Achmed Imawannajihad, may not have up-to-date targeting info either (then or now). :roll:
It's also the case that where we would have been targeting several nearby high-value targets with dial-a-yield low kT MIRVs within a couple of miles of each other with highly accurate small-CEP weapons, the approved Soviet solution was frequently to simply drop 25 megatons on the area in one toss and call it all good, then repeat. There is a crude elegance to waging nuclear guerrilla war with actual 800-pound gorillas.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

randy wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:
Primary:

Is Fairchild still a bomber base? If so, does it still have a nuclear mission? I thought I read a while ago about the Weapons Storage Area being demolished and freeing up the land for other purposes.
I think it's just a tanker base, now.