Marines resurrect Raiders

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
randy

Marines resurrect Raiders

Post by randy »

Doing some digging, looks like this was actually announced last year, but I didn't know about it until I saw this on Fox a day or so ago.

They USMC is officially calling their MARSOC troops Raiders in honor of their WWII heritage, Maybe old news to our Jarhead contingent, but I found it interesting, and proper,and worthy of dissemination.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aesop

Re: Marines resurrect Raiders

Post by Aesop »

Meh. It was one of Lame-Us Amos' notable butt nuggets.

Call me when they actually raid something.
And maybe leave death cards.

In a world where Marines are [strike]prosecuted[/strike] persecuted for pissing on their dead enemies' heads, calling them "Raiders" is about as ferocious as calling them grizzly bears, and giving them a big college football-esque fuzzy mascot.

Call them Gurkhas, import Nepalese NCOs to teach kukri combat, issue them the knives, and cut orders to behead hostiles, and they might be onto something worthwhile. I'd also give them HMMWVs with miniguns, and orders not to return with any ammo left, whenever possible.
The response I'm going for is that the threat of deploying them anywhere should induce enemy commanders to shit their pants and kill themselves proactively.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Well, not being one of Uncle Sam's Misquided Children, I'd have to say that it's pretty cool that they're paying homage to the original Raiders. It may not be exactly the same type of operations as the originals, but reading the account of the Makin Island raid, sound like the new guys have some pretty big shoes to fill.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I may be confusing him with somebody else here, but I seem to recall that General Puller (from reading his book years ago) was not a fan of the raider concept. As far as he was concerned, a marine was a marine.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

And the Raider concept, as finally "approved" by the Marine establishment, was not what Evan Carlson had in mind when he started. But he was bucking the establishment, a lot of whom thought he'd "gone Chink" while he was in China. And he proved that his ideas worked.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Precision

Post by Precision »

First Shirt wrote:Well, not being one of Uncle Sam's Misquided Children, I'd have to say that it's pretty cool that they're paying homage to the original Raiders. It may not be exactly the same type of operations as the originals, but reading the account of the Makin Island raid, sound like the new guys have some pretty big shoes to fill.

The problem is, will those appointed (not fired yet) by big dumbo ears allow the group to actually go in harm's way and HARM the enemy?

I kind of doubt it.

When we get, Ted Cruz or Ted Nugent as President my interest will be much more aroused.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Another dying gasp from the self-licking ice cream cone.