Starting a new pathfinder campaign

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Yogimus

Starting a new pathfinder campaign

Post by Yogimus »

Any forum members have any advice on how to be a good dungeon master for a dungeons and dragons group? Campaign ideas?
Aaron

Re: Starting a new pathfinder campaign

Post by Aaron »

Yes to both.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
BloodlessWeevil

Post by BloodlessWeevil »

Use your imagination, anything's possible.

Be descriptive, maybe find some stock images to help describe important places, objects, or characters.

Be flexible. You set the stage, but the story is written by the players. Sometimes they write better than you could ever hope to yourself.

...wait...Yogi? DMing a Pathfinder game? Is this an April fools gag?
"I'm not in charge. I'm just goofing around." -Weetabix
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I bet Yogi's game would go something like "You all die from stupidity after being tea bagged by your D20's. The End."
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Rules
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Pretty good set of rules, if alarming. Best piece of advice, be flexible. Players will work things out in ways and at times you don't expect, be prepared to improvise. Try to avoid rule by fiat, but make it clear you retain the privilege. Don't think of the players as your enemy, unless they decide to act like one, then be creative (yes, I'm telling Yogi specifically to be creative, player wants to get antagonistic with the DM then he gets what he deserves).
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I generally say "yes" instead of "no", and I don't believe in DM vs PC environments
Greg

Post by Greg »

Avoid punitive taxation. It's not much more fun for players than it is in real life.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

He Who Must Not Be Named would be a good source, if you are still in touch with him.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Yogimus wrote:Any forum members have any advice on how to be a good dungeon master for a dungeons and dragons group? Campaign ideas?
Be sure to have all the players killed by the end of the first turn.

Er, characters. CHARACTERS. Have the CHARACTERS killed by the end of the first turn.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds