Maritime Strategic Document

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Vonz90

Maritime Strategic Document

Post by Vonz90 »

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/new ... ?nopager=1

Interesting take, the main criticism is the lack of strategic choices/clarity. However, in our current system, the services don't really do that any more. The regional joint commanders are responsible for regional strategy and the NCA (via SECDEF) is responsible for the overall strategy.

The services are responsible for providing men, equipment and capabilities and their only real strategic input what priority they put on those capabilities (even that is mostly determined by Congressional funding rather than their preference).
Aesop

Re: Maritime Strategic Document

Post by Aesop »

Wait, I'm sorry, we have a strategy?

I thought the plan was mothball half the fleet, and then let rust and repetitive deployments take care of destroying the rest of it by 2030.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
JustinR

Re: Maritime Strategic Document

Post by JustinR »

Aesop wrote:Wait, I'm sorry, we have a strategy?

I thought the plan was mothball half the fleet, and then let rust and repetitive deployments take care of destroying the rest of it by 2030.
Ha. That sounds about right.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL