Analyst Types, What Is This?

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Darrell

Analyst Types, What Is This?

Post by Darrell »

My sister was snooping around in Syria on Google Maps. She was looking in the Raqqa area, which may be where the Jordanian pilot was burned to death. She found this circular formation in the desert and wondered if it was some sort of fortification. Interesting pattern in how it's laid out. What say you?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7891306 ... a=!3m1!1e3

ETA: This is also the area where the Syrian air forces were captured, marched out into the desert and massacred.
Last edited by Darrell on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Jered

Re: Analyst Types, What Is This?

Post by Jered »

It looks like a message from our lizard people overlords to the mothership.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

SAM site?

If A-10 Attack/Cuba taught me anything.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Looks like the standard, Soviet era SAM set up to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Looks like an old soviet export SA-2/SA-3 SAM site.

Check out this article on soviet missile installations. About halfway down the page, they show several example photos of typical SAM setups.

Link
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Dang it, ya beat me to it by mere seconds.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Bah! My guess was off!
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

In speaking with some cold war era intel types and reading on my own, my take-away is that the Soviets did not either allow modifications to, or even entertain the idea of modifications to, standard layouts like this. When Soviets set up a Battalion HQ, SAM site, or other similar thing, it was always done according to the plan. The upshot of this, if you are not Soviet, is if you can spot one particular piece of the puzzle, the rest can be interpolated with a large degree of accuracy. As one friend in the groundpounders told me "If you could spot the brewery, everything else fell into place."

Since the armies of the ME were essentially sandy bloc nations, it stands that the Soviet doctrine of laying things out the same way every time was passed onto (beaten into???) ME militaries. This is an outstanding resource on the subject. I remember paying $20 for mine and it came with the companion softcover.

Any one with actual, been there experience feel free to dial this in for me.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Thanks, gents, that's pretty much what I thought.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
randy

Post by randy »

Late to the party, but yeah, that's an inactive SAM site. I've seen (and developed target packages on) enough of those over the years.

Without any equipment deployed couldn't tell you which kind, but the Syrians had SA-2's and 3's. Doesn't look like an SA-5 site to me.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".