Tomorrow I hang up my cammies for the last time...

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
First Shirt

Re: Tomorrow I hang up my cammies for the last time...

Post by First Shirt »

Aesop wrote: 5) That goes doubly so for "opportunities" with Christians In Action
That would be "Competence Is Accidental"

Worked with a few of them over the years. "Clowns In Automobiles" would suit about as well.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

First Shirt wrote:
Aesop wrote: 5) That goes doubly so for "opportunities" with Christians In Action

Worked with a few of them over the years. "Clowns In Automobiles" would suit about as well.
"Clowns In Action" has been my usual reference phrase. The only people I ever worked with that made them look competent were some State Department weenies.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

randy wrote:
First Shirt wrote:

"Clowns In Action" has been my usual reference phrase. The only people I ever worked with that made them look competent were some State Department weenies.
Amen, Brother!!!! Preach the Word!!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
toad

Post by toad »

Anybody that the State Dept. had on staff that was competent started bailing out decades ago. I worked with a guy who had married a staffer. Apparently the State Dept. had developed over the years, some rules of thumb about when a 2nd world country was getting ready to go third world. As time went on the ticks in charge ignored the "lessons learned" because they didn't fit what the lords and masters wanted hear so that more and more warnings were ignored to the extent that nobody who knew anything gave them out anymore. The wife was in one country that started showing the signs so she bailed instead of trying to hang till retirement age.
The sad news is that the US is starting to exhibit some of the signs. Power outages, despite abundant natural resources, unemployment rising, crime rising, and etc.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

First Shirt wrote:
randy wrote:
First Shirt wrote: That would be "Competence Is Accidental"

Amen, Brother!!!! Preach the Word!!
This is true.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Old roomie from Navy days has had a good run of it with State techie. After EAOS, he took his Avionics rate to college for an EE and has spent intervening years globetrotting. Designs, sets up and maintains comm systems, up antenna towers periodically with SAPI plates. Wearb's a lot of kevlar at times. Like setting up comm's in Baghdad Green Zone in 2003, Kabul, funny named African places i can't spell yadda yadda. On a sad note, he was Sean Smith's roommate and supervisor in Baghdad where they brought up the State comm system.

A lot of prior service guys out there making it happen in odd places for State and 3 letter agencies, prepositioned for the military and other operations. Logisitics, transport, keeping the lights on and relationships open with locals for the odd moment we need to get gear and people in/thru some off the wall airstrip/terminal.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story