Female Marine becomes professional MMA fighter

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
MarkD

Re: Female Marine becomes professional MMA fighter

Post by MarkD »

Ummm, I'm assuming that in MMA women fight other women, not men. So what does this have to do with women in combat?

What I won't know about MMA would fill volumes, are there weight classes like in boxing? If so, would this woman be willing to fight a man in her weight class? What would be the likely result of such a match?

From an early age I had it drilled into me that a man doesn't hit a woman. While there are probably some women out there who could clean my clock in a fair fight (or an unfair one), a good number would win by default out of my reluctance to hit back.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Let's do an experiment.

Take the headline, and take out the word "Female".

So now it reads, "Marine becomes professional MMA fighter".
In related news, water is wet, and darkness follows sunset every day since forever.

Thus, what was removed is the only significant information.

So, srsly, is anybody surprised that any woman who got run through Parris Island and has been promoted 4 times since could or might want to, kick some other chick's ass?
What earthshattering "news" is conveyed by covering the news of a 115# woman prevailing in the MMA class in her initial bout, at a level roughly equivalent to junior high boys j.v. wrestling?

This is all about trying to buff up the misconception that women Marines are interchangeable with guys that look like Animal Mutha in Full Metal Jacket, and the same must therefore be true for the Army, Navy, and Air Force, because Demi Moore played G.I. Jane.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

308Mike wrote:Ya' know, my Tang Soo Do instructor/Master weighed about 1/2 what I did. But he could send ANY of the hanging bags (including the 75lbs-bags) into the ceiling from a SINGLE kick. There are MANY ways and components to being an effective fighter (ESPECIALLY FOCUS), and Chris touched on a few of them.

Just because someone is smaller and lighter than yourself, you should NOT assume they might not be able beat the crap outta' you and/or kill you with their body parts.

Do yourself a favor - DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING (when looking to engage in personal combat)!!!!!
First off, you ae talking about guy, the body ratios for muscle, bone and fat a very different. Even so, we put minimum height and weight requirments in place precicely because no matter how good of a shape one may be relative to size/ the gear does not care. It weighs the same foir the little guy and if he can't carry it (or destroys his body trying - which is common) then they are no use to anyone.

... And I don't assume anthing about anyone. I don't fight people or go anywhere that it is likeky to happen. If someone is going to go that far out of there way a to pick a fight with me, I will defend myself with a weapon, that is why I have a carry permit.