Orders

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Steamforger

Orders

Post by Steamforger »

I was waiting for my shuttle bus at SEATAC last night when a young man in dress blues wanders out to the waiting area. Let's see... wings and crossed anchors, Aviation BM. 2 green stripes, Seaman Apprentice. Uniform obviously new. Seabags in tow. Started talking to him and find out (as I suspected) he's coming off boot camp leave and reporting to his first assignment, CVN-68. He wasn't clear if he was being assigned to the ship, or would be assigned to a squadron so I volunteered to take a look at his orders. He was definitely ships company. He then took the opportunity to ask as many questions about shipboard life as he could. We chatted about cranking (not what you might be thinking), liberty ports, living on board, deck ops, how he would probably end up in whichever division had a Chief on duty that night, or if there were more than one, whichever chief got to the quarter deck first. As he was heading off to his bus I reiterated having a healthy respect for deck ops, being safe, working hard, and having fun.

I haven't been this jealous of someone in a long time. :mrgreen:
Aesop

Re: Orders

Post by Aesop »

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

They are in port Pearl on the way home.

Son&heir flew off from Naples 3 weeks ago. Checked out on terminal leave yesterday. Out buying cars today -- hustling for a friends salvage business.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

His NLT for Nimitz was 17 Dec.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Ah soo, heading to Everett then I reckon... They'll dump the airwing (and Tigers) at North Island then head up the coast to homeport.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story