Veteran's Day 2013

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
randy

Veteran's Day 2013

Post by randy »

To our brothers and sisters still out on the line, come home safely and if the worst is to happen, take an honor guard to with you. Know that we have your back.

To those that have been there, done that, Thank You. Having met many of the other vets on the board, I'm proud and humbled to be counted among your number.

And finally,

Absent Companions
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Re: Veteran's Day 2013

Post by randy »

Almost forgot:

A Pittance of Time
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rod

Post by Rod »

To my fellow vets, living and dead, thank you for your sacrifices.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I've poured a drink and thought a lot about this, so here goes.

I'm rather embarrassed when someone thanks me for my service. Why? Because I had a ball, an absolute adventure the whole time. About 27 years all told, wearing whatever clothes they told me to wear, and I enjoyed every single minute of it. Long walks in the woods, automatic weapons. Belt fed weapons. TANKS! Four kinds of tanks. Some of it sucked, the rain, the mud, the interminable duty hours, but I'd do it all again, proudly, with a big shit-eating grin on my face.

I played the whole time. Practical jokes on COLONELS. I had a friggin' ball, the whole time. And they paid me for it. One night I was standing in a drizzling rain, about 0200, qualifying tank crews and the Sergeant Major brought me a canteen cup full of coffee. "What the hell are we doing out here, Major?" I grinned at him. "We're having fun, Sergeant Major."

He looked at me under his kevlar. "You're a sick sonofabitch, you know that?"

"Fuck you! You work for me."

"No, goddamit, we both work for the Colonel. If I worked for you, I'd turn in my paperwork."

I swear to God, I enjoyed every minute. AND THEY PAID ME FOR IT. When somebody thanks me for my service, I want to tell them how bad I screwed them, 'cause I'd have done it for free.

We won't speak of this any more.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

randy wrote:To our brothers and sisters still out on the line, come home safely and if the worst is to happen, take an honor guard to with you. Know that we have your back.

To those that have been there, done that, Thank You. Having met many of the other vets on the board, I'm proud and humbled to be counted among your number.

And finally,

Absent Companions
ABSOLUTELY!!

Semper Fi!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Termite

Post by Termite »

Well, I didn't enjoy EVERY minute of it. Getting blown up at Fort Polk and spending a week in the base hospital sucked.

But later Uncle Sam spent about a 1/4 million teaching me to fly helos, so it was worth the pain.... 8-)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

All gave some, Some have all
To all of my fello brothers in arms, Hooah!
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I have to agree with PawPaw here. I feel like a fraud when someone thanks me for my service. I got to travel to places I'd only read about in school, got to do things that people would pay money to do, and met some of the finest people in the world and I feel truly humbled to be numbered among them.

To all my brothers-in-arms, thank you for making it such a great ride!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

All the same, gents, thank you for your service. :)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

My late father-in-law is one of the ones that I think of when someone thanks me for my service. He flunked four physicals in 1942 trying to get into any service that would take him. At some point, someone realized that they were going to need railroad people when they got to Europe (from North Africa) and hired him on as a locomotive mechanic, since that was what he'd been doing for Union Pacific for six years before the war.

From Sicily to Berlin, he kept the trains running. All the way into Romania, not being released until 1947. But he didn't believe that he was "qualified" to join the VFW, because he was a civilian employee of the Army.

I want to be like him when (if) I grow up.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom