Isreali Jets over Beirut?

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
PawPaw

Isreali Jets over Beirut?

Post by PawPaw »

DebkaFile is reporting that Israel struck a warehouse in Syria today, via missile fired from aircraft.
Israeli military activity is reported in Lebanon Saturday, May 4 and not just over Syria.
US sources said earlier Israeli warplanes had struck targets in Syria including a chemical weapons depot outside Damascus, firing missiles remotely from Lebanese air space and the Golan starting Friday and continuing up until early Saturday, May 3. An Israeli spokesman confirmed only an air strike in Syria against a shipment of long-range surface missiles.
They're also reporting that Israeli ground forces may have entered the Shebaa Farms region in Lebanon.
One Lebanese source claimed Israeli ground troops had descended from the Mt. Dov-Hermon range, crossed the Lebanese border and entered the Shebaa Farms region.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Darrell

Re: Isreali Jets over Beirut?

Post by Darrell »

I'm seeing it on Drudge and all over the net. Video too of a hill/mountaintop going up. Most reports are that the Israelis hit Iranian rockets and weapons intended for Hezbollah.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Darrell wrote:I'm seeing it on Drudge and all over the net. Video too of a hill/mountaintop going up. Most reports are that the Israelis hit [strike]Iranian[/strike] Syrian rockets and weapons intended for Hezbollah.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

The airstrike that Israeli warplanes carried out in Syria overnight on Thursday was directed at a shipment of advanced surface-to-surface missiles from Iran that Israel believed was intended for Hezbollah, American officials said Saturday. That strike was aimed at disrupting the arms pipeline that runs from Syria to Hezbollah, the militant Lebanese organization, and it highlighted the mounting stakes for Hezbollah and Israel as Syria becomes more chaotic.

Iran and Hezbollah have both backed President Bashar al-Assad in the Syrian civil war, now in its third year. But as fighting in Syria escalates, they also have a powerful interest in expediting the delivery of advanced weapons to Hezbollah in case Mr. Assad loses his grip on power and Syria ceases to be an effective channel for funneling weapons from Iran.

The missiles that were the target of the Israeli raid had been shipped from Iran and were being stored in a warehouse at Damascus International Airport when they were struck, according to an American official.

Iran has sought to use the threat of a Hezbollah missile attack against Israeli territory as a means of building up its ally and deterring Israel from conducting airstrikes on Iranian nuclear installations that Israeli and American officials believe are part of an Iranian nuclear weapons program.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/world ... .html?_r=1&
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Termite

Post by Termite »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to send arms from Iran to Syria means crossing thru Iraq or Turkey, right?
Unless they're coming in by plane or ship....... :?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Greg

Post by Greg »

Termite wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but to send arms from Iran to Syria means crossing thru Iraq or Turkey, right?
Unless they're coming in by plane or ship....... :?
All of the above, though via commercial aircraft seems to be especially popular lately.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Wasn't there a prognostication here a few months ago that things would be getting sporty with Iran and Israel in the not-to-distant future?