F111 Belly Landing

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Denis

Re: F111 Belly Landing

Post by Denis »

randy wrote:... with certain combinations of munitions and target sets it could be effective with "retail destruction" as well.

As opposed to 'wholesale destruction'? Haha.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Denis wrote:
randy wrote:... with certain combinations of munitions and target sets it could be effective with "retail destruction" as well.

Yeah that would be the sunshine in a can. :shock:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

Greg wrote:
Denis wrote:

Yeah that would be the sunshine in a can. :shock:
When I was doing Conventional Weaponeering at CINCPAC I had a sign at my desk:

"Retail Destruction at Wholesale Prices!"

The Wholesale Destruction guys Greg alluded to were in another office up the hill from me.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Denis

Post by Denis »

Priceless!!
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

My parents' weekend place was somewhat near Camp Shelby in Mississippi. When we first got the place in the early-'80s it was USAFR F-4Es and Navy Reserve A-7Es zipping past at low level. Later it was A-10s and F/A-18s. The 'Hogs were especially impressive. Most unusual thing I saw flying overhead was one of the F-20 prototypes. I heard a jet, looked up & watched what looked like a gray F-5 fly over at low, but not treetop height. Unusual, and therefore cool. As it went past, I saw one big exhaust, instead of two small ones & realized what it really was.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Best part of that whole F111 vid is the Squadron Leader's 'stache. No amount of ascot wearing finery by our Zoomies can ever touch that.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

HTRN wrote:
randy wrote:It's called a Loft-Toss. Not the most accurate of deliveries, but for when close counts (nukes, cluster munitions, soft area targets ("soft pudgies in the open")) it can be effective at reducing exposure to the target's defenses. Not just an F-111 delivery method.
I thought loft tossing was mainly done with "physics packages".. :?:
I know that the E model's targeting system was particularly good for such things. The D models used something a little more primitive for iron bombs, yet still to great effect. The F model solved the iron bomb problem with the Pave Tack pod, but that negated the use of the internal munitions bay. I always wanted to see someone make the Pave Tack system smaller so you could mount it elsewhere on the airframe and get the extra space for munitions. Of course I also wanted to see them mount two 25mm Bushmaster-type cannons running down the underside of the plane for strafing the crap out of vehicle convoys, too. But there's no chance of improving it now...
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Greg

Post by Greg »

SoupOrMan wrote: Of course I also wanted to see them mount two 25mm Bushmaster-type cannons running down the underside of the plane for strafing the crap out of vehicle convoys, too. But there's no chance of improving it now...
They call that a Tornado.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

The Tornado carries about 12000 fewer pounds of ordnance, though.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds