CHAMP: EW missile

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
blackeagle603

CHAMP: EW missile

Post by blackeagle603 »

CHAMP flew over the Utah Test and Training Range last Tuesday, discharging a burst of High Power Microwaves onto the test site and brought down the compound's entire spectrum of electronic systems, apparently without producing any other damage at all. Even the camera recording the test was shut down.
If it's not Boeing I'm not going.
Unless we're going to the boat then I'll only fly Grumman
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Steamforger

Re: CHAMP: EW missile

Post by Steamforger »

Am I correct in expecting that at some point in the future a CHAMP launched from a fighter and proximity fused could cause enemy aircraft to fall out of the sky?
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Never hurts to find out you're on the right track.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

CByrneIV wrote: If I'm right, it's a 2,000lb class weapon, in the 14-16 foot length range. If so, it is most likely only carryable as a centerline or inboard external hardpoint by nextgen platforms.
Too bad we don't have any Tomcats laying around in operating condition anymore...
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

I'd think you'd want something like a B1 or a B52 standing off in friendly airspace and launching theses all over bad guy territory. Iill all of the command and control facilities you know of as the opening salvo and have a few more standing by to kill the ones you find after the fur starts flying.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Could also be handy if you would like to arrange some "oopsies" into someone's avionics or security systems...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

It is possible to harden targets against this kind of attack. It is not a wonder weapon but will force potential enemies to upgrade their systems or be vulnerable.

The biggest value is against enemies who want to employ mixed use equipment against us. We are not going to have blow up your civilian equipment to keep you from using it against us any more (think power plants, phone systems, not just planes and vehicles).
Last edited by Vonz90 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

What's new to me is that Boeing and the AFRL are openly talking about it... Other contractors have been developing similar projects for the various branches and agencies. All I can say is "cool stuff"!
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Yeah, it's all fun and games until your forces are inbound and they lob their version of one back into your first wave, and they all fall out of the sky too.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

How would such a warhead fare on a ballistic missile interdiction platform? Ballistic and long ranged missiles are limited by weight, so using such a countermeasure would require a new generation of rocketry to incorporate shielding.

1. Would the guidance set on these missiles be affected?
2. Would the fuses be pre-detonated or rendered inoperative?
3. How close to target must it get?