CHAMP: EW missile

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Yogimus

Re: CHAMP: EW missile

Post by Yogimus »

Touche'. I used wrong nomenclature. I was thinking of SCUD types.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

CByrneIV wrote:
Aglifter wrote:I would think an ICBM would already be shielded, unless this weapon does something a nuclear blast does not - I think this is more about fighting terrorists/low-tech enemies.

IE, use it to knock out all communications in an area before raiding some chief terrorist's compound.
It's about clearing ingress/egress routes of elint, fire control, and area defense; and shutting down local C3I.

If they can't see you, they can't shoot you. If they can't communicate, they can't maneuver.
It really does not do that, at least against more prepared enemies. EMP shielding is pretty standard for military gear.

This was one of the "next gen" weapons we looked at for Operational planning at the NWC. Think soft kill on civilian infrastructure. That is not to say it will never have applications against military C3, but not often.

The classic application would be in the Kosovo air campaign, once we destroyed their military C3, they switched to civilian phone lines and whatnot. So we ended bombing civilian building with phon interchanges, power plants, etc. With this weapon, we could have taken out those types of targets without risk to civilians and less physical damage.

That is what they have in mind for this.
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Northrop's mini wild weasel??? :lol:

Here is a picture of the UAS being referred to in the article (different payload shown, of course):

NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

CByrneIV wrote: If I'm right, it's a 2,000lb class weapon, in the 14-16 foot length range. If so, it is most likely only carryable as a centerline or inboard external hardpoint by nextgen platforms.
Agreed, you could carry a few easily enough on a Dirt Eagle though.