Lets whoop this carcass good and proper! (M-16 Thread)

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
crazylegs

Lets whoop this carcass good and proper! (M-16 Thread)

Post by crazylegs »

*leads out a horse, shoots horse in the head, produces multiple whips and blunt instruments*

Hey everybody! I Thought I'd start the ubiquitous debate slash thread, as to whether or not the M-16 and M-4 family of weapons, and the 5.56 nato cartridge are the most aptly suited long arms for the US military.

How about it? Are the guns and ammo good enough? Should we stick to the AR platform, but adopt a different cartridge? Should we swap for gas piston uppers? Perhaps dust off those XM-28 blueprints we had?

Little bit of background here, I am a five year Senior Airman in the USAF, and I own a Bushmaster AR-15. I'm not a security forces troop, but my squadron regularly posts gun guard for certain areas that we maintain. I've never had to fire an M-16 in anger, I just get stuck carrying one around a lot, and poke holes in paper occasionally on the weekends.
Luke 22:36
" ....But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
-Jesus Christ,
FastRope71

Re: Lets whoop this carcass good and proper! (M-16 Thread)

Post by FastRope71 »

I thought Barnyard was a great movie, personally. The wacky furry thing with the bulbous nose and big feet spinning to 'the Can Can' was Awe inspiring.

I was a little disappointed when Otis refused to hoof punch the evil coyote in the face when he had him by the neck at the end. At least they gave us a peace offering there with the bicycle frame golf club sending the evil mutt over the horizon.

(in other words, Let's not)
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed
DougWojtowicz

Post by DougWojtowicz »

The M-4 barrel is not long enough for proper bad guy busting.

70-plus weight bullets and proper 18-20 inch barrels are what works for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. If only the AR-15 platform could use a proper folding stock.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

DougWojtowicz wrote:The M-4 barrel is not long enough for proper bad guy busting.
It's also not long enough to bust open a case of C's. Oops, I'm dating myself here. MRE cases are probably tear open.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

The snipers in Iraq have found the M4, with the heavier ammo to work just fine for killing the enemy.
Rod

Post by Rod »

308Mike wrote:
DougWojtowicz wrote:The M-4 barrel is not long enough for proper bad guy busting.
It's also not long enough to bust open a case of C's. Oops, I'm dating myself here. MRE cases are probably tear open.
Hijack! Knew a guy in Nam who actually bent his barrel on a case. He got the rifle of a guy going to the rear and the other guy turned his in.
Which did you prefer? The P-38 or the B-52?
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Rod wrote:
308Mike wrote: Which did you prefer? The P-38 or the B-52?
P-38, You?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Rod

Post by Rod »

B-52, easier on the fingers and faster.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
sam

Post by sam »

There was a B-52 can opener? All I ever saw (and carried) was a P-38.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

There is also a P-51 can opener.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt