AB-1?

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
randy

AB-1?

Post by randy »

Boeing files patent that could convert a B-1 into a gunship

Hat Tip to Breach Bang Clear

Probably never happen, but as pointed out the technology in the patent could be adapted to other platforms (AB-52?) using directed energy weapons.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
g-man

Re: AB-1?

Post by g-man »

Directed energy weapons are dead in the water for airborne platforms. Power generation for solid state is a problem, and chemical capacity is the issue for COIL and similar. I did my masters thesis on the Advanced Tactical Laser (c-130 based little brother to the 747-based ABL), and they both went the way of the dodo (thanks Obama). As an operational platform it didn't have the capabilities it needed yet. But as a tested and general deterrent? It had legs. And yet we still have the over-priced wonderplane, the F(/A???)-35, at a bajillion dollars a copy.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Rod

Post by Rod »

Thank God they don't need human gunners. Imagine being lowered into the slipstream of a B-1 going 350 knots.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

g-man wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:59 am And yet we still have the over-priced wonderplane, the F(/A???)-35, at a bajillion dollars a copy.
It is indeed a wonderplane, as it outperforms basically everybody else out there. Theres a reason why all are nominal allies are chomping at the bit to buy them.

The ral future for Dews in service seems to be CIWs on ships with large powerplants.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Now that it appears there's going to be a Space Force, DEWS can be deployed in the screaming void of spaaaaaaaaace! :)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
g-man

Post by g-man »

HTRN wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm
g-man wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:59 am And yet we still have the over-priced wonderplane, the F(/A???)-35, at a bajillion dollars a copy.
It is indeed a wonderplane, as it outperforms basically everybody else out there. Theres a reason why all are nominal allies are chomping at the bit to buy them.

The ral future for Dews in service seems to be CIWs on ships with large powerplants.
I'm not saying it's not badass. I'm saying it's not NEARLY as badass as its pricetag says it should be. The AF mortgaged their entire force structure for that bird, and have perpetually screwed the manning pooch for better than a decade as a result.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

randy wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:35 pmProbably never happen,
Considering the "r" retrofit got shelved, and was far less ambitious? Almost a certainty.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Far more A than F in that airplane. It's a bomb-dropper with a secondary air-to-air capability. And much of the price comes from avionics that older aircraft carry in pods...and aren't counted against the unit flyaway price.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

I expect that, in the age of the SDB, the AB-1 concept has even less of a chance to survive than the B-1R concept.

And as for the F-35 being overpriced, I place the blame for that solidly on the B model.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Yup, yup. Completely new vtol system vs the harrier, making it much safer tho fly.

Ultra low observable, better even than the f22
Beyond bleeding edge avionics integrated into the plane to maintain low observability
3 different variants all built on basically the same airframe, and all with radically different requirements.

Its going to eventually replace all US combat aircraft in the future.