9/11 Memorial

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
sam

9/11 Memorial

Post by sam »

Last week, I stopped off at the California State Fair. One of the things I wanted to see, was the 9/11 Memorial, dedicated a few days before.

It was quite moving. There are several permanent memorials, and they had a temporary display of about a dozen newspaper front pages, and hundreds of photographs.

The memorials:

* Carillon Bell Tower, which plays often
* "New York Place" - Some steel beams from the Twin Towers
* Granite Sphere and Foundation “Yesterday” - engraved with the 3,071 names murdered in NYC
* Reflection Towers “Reflections Of a Better Time” - this was just completed
* Pennsylvania Place “Courage” - dedicated to the memory of Flight 93
* Washington Place “The Symbols” - this one is also new. A granite Pentagon, engraved with the names of those murdered there.

About the photo exhibit, I could not finish looking at it. The sadness/anger/sorrow/rage it evoked from me, I had to go "walk it off."
308Mike

Re: 9/11 Memorial

Post by 308Mike »

sam wrote:Last week, I stopped off at the California State Fair. One of the things I wanted to see, was the 9/11 Memorial, dedicated a few days before.
Where is the State Fair? Since we have the Del Mar Fair down here, I don't think I've even see the State Fair.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
sam

Post by sam »

The California State Fair (and for that matter, the Sacramento County Fair) is held at what everyone calls Cal Expo, east of downtown Sacramento.

It's formally known as the California Exposition and State Fair, and is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year.

There's a major horse racing track and water park there, too. Also, the two or three gun shows we get a year.

ETA: Also all the usual Car, Boat, RV, Home & Garden, etc. type of shows

The NBA and state (ETA: and city) are looking to build a new arena for the Sacramento Kings there, too.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Well, that certainly explains why I've never seen it. I've only been to Sacramento to deal with legislation.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad