Black Powder revolver shortage ?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
toad

Black Powder revolver shortage ?

Post by toad »

I was looking at black powder revolvers , 1858 Remington replicas , and found out that I had to go in person and don't bother , they were out of stock.
Netpackrat

Re: Black Powder revolver shortage ?

Post by Netpackrat »

Dixie Gun Works appears to still have some models in stock. Probably a few factors in play... First and foremost, the companies that produce these replicas, also make a lot of cartridge guns, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have prioritized those for production during this time. Second, the shortages of cartridge guns and ammo is going to shift demand to the black powder revolvers, whether it's just recreational shooters figuring this is a good time to get into BP, or people buying them as alternatives for defensive use to modern firearms that are not available. And also in the current political climate and with the ongoing ATF shenanigans, there's a lot of appeal to being able to mail order a handgun without any red tape, paperwork, etc. Because if you are going to go that way, a BP revolver is probably the least shitty alternative out of any handgun legally considered antique.

I didn't take the time to specifically look, but I would hazard a guess that the ones that sold out first, were those for which cartridge conversion cylinders are available.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

FlintlockTom made the mistake of handing his Ruger Old Army one sunny Saturday morning range day... "Thou shalt not covet."

I'm long past due for doing something about that. Got a 30 year work anniversary coming up this week, the 8th. Does that make it a BAG day?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
evan price

Post by evan price »

I've got 3-4 BP revolvers I'd be persuaded to rehome. One of them needs a repair, it had a worn out cylinder stop. The other three are in good condition.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

What have you got? I'd be kind of interested in a 2nd or 3rd model Dragoon Colt if you have one in decent shape you'd be willing to part with.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I still want a pair of 58 caliber howdah hunters. Just not gonna happen at 600 bucks a pop.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:54 pm What have you got? I'd be kind of interested in a 2nd or 3rd model Dragoon Colt if you have one in decent shape you'd be willing to part with.
Did you specifically want a Colt? If not, I have an Uberti replica of 2nd model Dragoon I'd be willing to rehome. Have 3 other BP pistols and this one I shoot the least.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Sorry I should have specified a replica Colt. Yeah I would be interested if the price and condition are decent.

FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:30 am Sorry I should have specified a replica Colt. Yeah I would be interested if the price and condition are decent.
I'll send pictures in a couple of days once I get back home.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Thanks.