Flattening the Curve: Overrated?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Jered

Re: Flattening the Curve: Overrated?

Post by Jered »

BDK wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:29 pm Vaccines, can kill a certain percentage as well. Most notably, smallpox and yellow fever vaccine’s. It’s a matter of being worth the reduction in risk.
Which method of smallpox vaccination was that? We've had smallpox vaccinations since before the germ theory of disease.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
BDK

Post by BDK »

The, relatively, current one. It was why there was so much resistance to vaccinating first responders right after 9/11.

(I was in undergrad, one of my profs had a friend who was working on improving it.)

As of ‘06, yellow fever vaccines were not given lightly. I wanted to get one, as I was, supposed, to be headed to an area where it was recommended. Baylor’s tropical disease center said there were not enough cases there, to give me the vaccine. They were more worried about TB.

There has been significant improvement in it, over the last 20 years.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

https://thedispatch.com/p/what-if-we-tr ... quarantine

Quarantine...you know, keep the sick and those who have been exposed to the sick isolated, not placing healthy people under near house arrest.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
randy

Post by randy »

BDK wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:11 am As of ‘06, yellow fever vaccines were not given lightly. I wanted to get one, as I was, supposed, to be headed to an area where it was recommended. Baylor’s tropical disease center said there were not enough cases there, to give me the vaccine. They were more worried about TB.

There has been significant improvement in it, over the last 20 years.
I have Yellow Fever vaccine down as my only allergy on my medical records. When I received it in the mid 80 I just had time to drive home, undress and crawl into bed before passing out for a solid 12+ hours and not being able to do much for the rest of the day.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jered

Post by Jered »

BDK wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:11 am The, relatively, current one. It was why there was so much resistance to vaccinating first responders right after 9/11.
If you just go get cowpox, that should confer smallpox immunity. According to Wiki, we use a cowpox virus as a smallpox vaccine.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Jered wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:37 amIf you just go get cowpox, that should confer smallpox immunity. According to Wiki, we use a cowpox virus as a smallpox vaccine.
I think you're right. According to what I've read, that was Edward Jenner's original observation.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:17 pm
Jered wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:37 amIf you just go get cowpox, that should confer smallpox immunity. According to Wiki, we use a cowpox virus as a smallpox vaccine.
I think you're right. According to what I've read, that was Edward Jenner's original observation.
I believe there are two versions of the vaccine. The cowpox version gives less immunity so it was replaced by a stronger version based on smallpox once they knew how to do that.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:34 am A lot of guessing in that article. What I get from that and the other articles I can find, is that they just don't know.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... infectious
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz90 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:50 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:34 am A lot of guessing in that article. What I get from that and the other articles I can find, is that they just don't know.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... infectious
That's good news if it is true. I don't think it makes intentionally exposing people in the quest for herd immunity sans a vaccine a good idea, but it's definitely a good development. From the article I posted yesterday, it sounds as though Moderna's vaccine is proving to be safe thus far; now they just need to establish that it works.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

I think this pretty much summarizes the whole thing.

LAPG_-_Covid_Patch_-_2__28496.1588867159.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."