The price of all this crap

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Re: The price of all this crap

Post by Vonz90 »

...and the wife has been furloughed for at least 2 weeks. More or less prepared since we have been expecting it, but no fun anyway.
Termite

Post by Termite »

"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
BDK

Post by BDK »

From the mists of time, I think that varies with how contagious and robust the disease is. I think measles, which is a real mother to stop, requires 95%...

I THINK there is a formula which quantifies how contagious and disease is, and can relate that to how much vaccination is required for herd immunity.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Some good points supporting Vonz90's original thesis: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2020-04- ... lane-crash
Cardiovascular disease kills over 17 million people annually. It’s the main cause of death globally apparently. I thought it was stupidity but now Google tells me no, it’s “CVD”. Cardiovascular disease. So much for that then.
Looking deeper we find what causes it. Too much macaroni cheese, and donuts, which actually means I was right all along. Stupidity IS the main cause of death. Furthermore, we know what we can do to stop it. Buy a pair of running shoes and actually use them for – you know – running, instead of mooching about the mall from one junk food outlet to another. Anyway it causes millions of deaths every year and in a minute I’ll tell you why we don’t collectively say…ok that’s it. Enough is enough, you’re all quarantined and everyone must, for the next 4 weeks, self isolate in the gym on a diet of lettuce and bottled water. Which if you think about it would save millions of lives, not to mention millions of dollars in healthcare.
Yeah, like that's gonna happen!
I read an insightful piece from recently-retired Professor of Pathology and NHS consultant pathologist, Dr John Lee who states in an article in the spectator.
“The simplest way to judge whether we have an exceptionally lethal disease is to look at the death rates. Are more people dying than we would expect to die anyway in a given week or month? Statistically, we would expect about 51,000 to die in Britain this month. At the time of writing, 422 deaths are linked to Covid-19 — so 0.8 per cent of that expected total. On a global basis, we’d expect 14 million to die over the first three months of the year. The world’s 18,944 coronavirus deaths represent 0.14 per cent of that total. These figures might shoot up but they are, right now, lower than other infectious diseases that we live with (such as flu). Not figures that would, in and of themselves, cause drastic global reactions.”
Yes, the numbers from the Cerveza Sickness are going up, but a long way to go to get to single-digit percentages of total deaths.

And of course, there is the cost side of the equation:
A question worth asking. At what point does economic health become more important than public health?
Because let’s face it there is no public health system if there is no economy to support it, and don’t look now but while we sit at home making puzzles and playing monopoly the world out there is falling to pieces.
The longer the world remains in a lockdown the greater the damage done to the global economy. We are already facing an unprecedented global collapse in trade.
What nobody is paying attention to now but soon will, is that if there is no economy or a poorly functioning one the health issues that come out of that will make this Bat flu look like a walk in the park in comparison. And we’ll have brought it on ourselves.
Over in Italy already Guessepe and his family are breaking into shops to find some pasta because he’s run out of money and food. Ugly. But the rest of Europe and the Brits…while we can hope like hell they fare better, are still in the early days.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

g-man

Post by g-man »

Irrelevant organization is irrelevant.

Not trying to be too facetious, but they'd do well to STFU and keep their heads down right about now. Cut half the bureaucrats at the UN and just GIVE their salaries to those new 'extremely poor' children, and they'd be back over the line. just sayin'. Full disclosure: I've never really been a fan of that organization.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

^ I share your opinion of the UN, but maybe this time the blind pig found a nut.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Curves per state: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... in-the-u-s

Restrictions by state: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... in-the-u-s

There is not an obvious correlation.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

randy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:16 amA phrase I've heard from the local Public Health types is that "in the early stages of a pandemic, we are Chicken Little fear mongers, in the last stages of a pandemic we didn't do enough early enough". They just can't win.
Yup, literally the best case scenario is "those assholes made us overreact."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop