Milwaukee Beer Shooting

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
D5CAV

Milwaukee Beer Shooting

Post by D5CAV »

To be clear, just because his wife shows up at Liz Warren rallies doesn't mean Anthony Ferrill is with Liz as well, However, lots of other good points.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/mil ... -supporter

Warren immediately tweets:
I'm devastated for the victims, and my heart is with their loved ones and all those affected by this tragedy.

We shouldn't have to live with this constant horror and grief. We need to act now to end the gun violence epidemic.
To which some alert twitter follower responds:
The shooter was 51 year old Anthony Ferrill. His wife took selfies with you at a rally last year. This one is 100% on you, Liz.
However, having a silencer puts him in the category of serious gun-guy. Not many gun owners have silencers:
51-year-old Anthony Ferrill showed up at the MillerCoors facility from where he had been fired earlier in the day wearing his uniform and carrying a silenced gun.
If he had a silencer, that means he convinced a local po-po chief to sign off on an ATF Form 4. So much for the gun control narrative as well.

Yeah, lots of reasons to memory hole* this one:
Despite being the worst mass shooting in Wisconsin’s history, the incident has largely disappeared from headlines and discussion, with online outrage noticeably dampened in comparison with other mass shootings.
“I hope it’s clear to everyone that if political capital can’t be made off a tragedy it will get memoryholed faster than the Jussie Smollett hoax,” commented one Twitter user.
* "Memory Hole" is another term that entered our lexicon from George Orwell's novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four".
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Netpackrat

Re: Milwaukee Beer Shooting

Post by Netpackrat »

D5CAV wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:41 am However, having a silencer puts him in the category of serious gun-guy. Not many gun owners have silencers:
51-year-old Anthony Ferrill showed up at the MillerCoors facility from where he had been fired earlier in the day wearing his uniform and carrying a silenced gun.
If he had a silencer, that means he convinced a local po-po chief to sign off on an ATF Form 4. So much for the gun control narrative as well.
1. Unless and until I see a credible report of a make/model of silencer, I am going to assume that what he had was an unregistered flashlight tube full of freeze plugs.

2. Even if he had a legit, registered silencer, there's no reason to assume that he had to get a CLEO signature. That requirement went away with the implementation of 41F, and prior to that he could have used a trust to acquire it, also no CLEO signature required. I have a pretty good stamp collection myself and I have never gotten a CLEO signature.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Fake news: one pic of the place has a Gun-Free Zone sign on the premise. Didn't happen.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:15 am 1. Unless and until I see a credible report of a make/model of silencer, I am going to assume that what he had was an unregistered flashlight tube full of freeze plugs.

2. Even if he had a legit, registered silencer, there's no reason to assume that he had to get a CLEO signature. That requirement went away with the implementation of 41F, and prior to that he could have used a trust to acquire it, also no CLEO signature required. I have a pretty good stamp collection myself and I have never gotten a CLEO signature.
1. Perhaps true. However it still busts the "if only we had gun registration" and "all we want is 'reasonable' gun laws" narratives since silencers are restricted ATF items that require registration, FBI background checks, and fingerprint cards. If his was an unregistered silencer, it also busts the whole argument for registration.

2. I wasn't aware that ATF did away with CLEO signatures. All of my Form 4s have CLEO signature. Good info. That was a real PITA. I had to spend way more than the tax stamps on donations to Sheriff re-election campaigns and other po-po charity events. However, it doesn't change the narrative destruction. Unless those requirements were changed as well, Form 4 still requires fingerprint cards and FBI background checks. Still more registration requirements than almost any State for Title 1 firearms.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:15 am
D5CAV wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:41 am However, having a silencer puts him in the category of serious gun-guy. Not many gun owners have silencers:
1. Unless and until I see a credible report of a make/model of silencer, I am going to assume that what he had was an unregistered flashlight tube full of freeze plugs.

What NPR said. Or could even be a oil filter "suppressor"

it isn't like I couldn't make a decent suppressor in my garage in under an hour. It wouldn't last too long, but it would do the job. Not to mention anyone with a maglight, freeze plugs or washers and a welder can make a better one quickly. Or for that matter any number of other things available at home depot. for under $50.
Anyone with a mill or lathe or cnc machine... childs play for a pretty durable and good one.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Precision wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:33 pm What NPR said. Or could even be a oil filter "suppressor"

it isn't like I couldn't make a decent suppressor in my garage in under an hour. It wouldn't last too long, but it would do the job. Not to mention anyone with a maglight, freeze plugs or washers and a welder can make a better one quickly. Or for that matter any number of other things available at home depot. for under $50.
Anyone with a mill or lathe or cnc machine... childs play for a pretty durable and good one.
Yes. My point exactly. More narrative destruction. Why bother with gun laws and gun registration? If Mr. Ferrill had registered his silencer, it didn't stop the shooting. If he built his pistol and the suppressor in his basement with his multi-head CNC machine, then the registration laws are worthless as well.

Why stop with suppressors? Someone with skills and a CNC machine can make an M134 minigun.

That's the big deal with 3D printed guns, and that's with the hobbyist versions that 3D print with plastic. I looked at a startup the other day with a metal 3D printing machine that costs less than a new mill or lathe, and much less than a multi-head CNC machine. Now you don't need skills, just download the design and start the machine.

Or, as Joerg says, time for ATF to ban plywood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zPDx6HQ_9w
"let me show you its features (cue evil laugh)"

* in case anyone gets any ideas, you can buy an oil filter adapter that mates standard pistol barrel threading to a standard oil filter thread. They cost about $20, but ATF considers possession of one of those "constructive possession" of a suppressor, so that is by itself, even without the oil filter, is a tax stamp item. On the other hand, Joerg's invention isn't a "firearm" so until ATF bans plywood, you can build that with a jigsaw and drill.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I saw a blurb somewhere that said he had a felony conviction, too, so he was a prohibited possessor. True or no?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:30 pm I saw a blurb somewhere that said he had a felony conviction, too, so he was a prohibited possessor. True or no?
I read that this morning, I think at NRO.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:33 pmWhat NPR said. Or could even be a oil filter "suppressor"
Cough, Wix 4003 and 3/4 to 1/2-28 adapter, Cough.. ;)
D5CAV wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:26 amWhy stop with suppressors? Someone with skills and a CNC machine can make an M134.
Demilled mortars are easier to return to service.

Then theres the guys who make copper frying pans for a living... :shock:
Last edited by HTRN on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

HTRN wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:51 am
D5CAV wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:26 amWhy stop with suppressors? Someone with skills and a CNC machine can make an M134.
Demilled mortars are easier to return to service.

Then theres the guys who make copper frying pans for a living... :shock:
Yes, but an M134 runs on 7.62 NATO which I can buy at WalMart. Mortar rounds are a little harder to source. Even coppersmiths need to find fuzes. All that chemistry stuff is harder to machine. Whenever someone whines to me about the restrictions on MGs, I always tell them I'd trade my MGs for a few cases of M67 grenades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLlNpSXlgAM

Yeah, it sure would be nice to have some grenades!