The Oppression of Math

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

The Oppression of Math

Post by Vonz90 »

Precision

Re: The Oppression of Math

Post by Precision »

2+2=4 regardless of the color of your skin, the color of your hair, the shape of your genitals. But somehow it is oppressive that you can't do the math? No, that is called too lazy to master it. I will admit some people are not math inclined. That means they need to study harder, get a tutor or take a job that has less math requirements. Just like those of us who are bad at OTHER things.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I have to admit I get riled up about math education. Education in general really, because I'm pretty sure the public schools and teachers' unions actively use it as a tool of oppression by doing it badly on purpose.

One thing from the article I do agree with: “explain how math dictates economic oppression.” Teaching math badly DOES dictate economic oppression because the students who are not taught or are mis-taught can't figure out how to get out of economic oppression. If they'd teach math correctly, especially basic financial math, there would be a lot less misery in our country and our world. You want more "income equality"? Teach math better.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Post by BDK »

+1. Basic civics and Econ would also be great
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Precision wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:35 am 2+2=4 regardless of the color of your skin, the color of your hair, the shape of your genitals.
You are wrong, Winston. "Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three, sometimes they are all of them at once." O'Brien 1984

You are charged with thought crimes, so you must be guilty.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

It's not just math...proper grammar, spelling, and good writing in general are also oppressive.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/universit ... n-grading/

Basically, any area where white students outperform students "of color*" is oppressive. (Asians are not "of color," even they are technically minorities, and most of the students I've seen from the Indian sub-continent have more melanin than most Latino students, and a lot of them have more than the 44th POTUS.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus