Exercising the 72-hour rule after ‘events’

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
g-man

Exercising the 72-hour rule after ‘events’

Post by g-man »

With these two shooting incidents (El Paso TX and Dayton, OH) occurring nearly back-to-back, this should be a good time to practice this rule. Trying to avoid it in the media will be nigh-on impossible given the insta-shrieking for ‘Moar Gun Banz Nao!!!!’. So I’ll just avoid media completely until more legitimate details emerge. That they continue to tout the Vegas shooting as this sort of event, with ZERO credible evidence and basically a media blackout on information reinforces that it’s all about the narrative, not the actual news.

Early take-aways:

1. Follow Farnham’s Law. Maybe it’s just being old, but going out to bars and being there after midnight is tap dancing with 2,3, or maybe even all 4 of the rules of stupid. NOT victim blaming, just noting that dumb occurs more often at that time, place, etc, whether that is a shooting or getting caught up in a drunken brawl. Was on scene ~15 years ago when a bar fight spilled out of that exact location, at a similar time... just sayin.

2. Carry EVERYWHERE. Unless I’m going on post, if I leave the property I’m going armed.

3. Sort some carry insurance.

4. More range time, with specific emphasis on longer range engagements. It’s hard to conceal a long gun, and so given recent trends I’d be bringing a handgun to a long gun fight. Better than a pointy stick, but I need to get better at a distance.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
HTRN

Re: Exercising the 72-hour rule after ‘events’

Post by HTRN »

g-man wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:43 pm 1. Follow Farnham’s Law. Maybe it’s just being old, but going out to bars and being there after midnight is tap dancing with 2,3, or maybe even all 4 of the rules of stupid.
I believe it was Weetabix who said
Nothing good happens after 10pm
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I did shake my head at how the reporters insist on calling that area of Dayton an "art district." If that many people are milling around at 1:20 am, it a bar district. They're there to drink; the window dressing just lets them feel good about themselves while doing it.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Precision

Post by Precision »

Langenator wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am I did shake my head at how the reporters insist on calling that area of Dayton an "art district." If that many people are milling around at 1:20 am, it a bar district. They're there to drink; the window dressing just lets them feel good about themselves while doing it.
too true, but never underestimate the power of intentional cognitive dissonance.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
g-man

Post by g-man »

Langenator wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am I did shake my head at how the reporters insist on calling that area of Dayton an "art district." If that many people are milling around at 1:20 am, it a bar district. They're there to drink; the window dressing just lets them feel good about themselves while doing it.
Exactly. It’s a semi-gentrified bar district, but a bar district nonetheless. Spent many a Saturday night parked with a group of other bikers in the lot adjacent to where the shooting occurred, for free entertainment watching the drunks. That’s why the police response was under a minute: they were already there, like they are every Saturday.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Farnham's Law is good advice, but if you want to play the blues (or bluegrass), you're going to be out after 10 now and again. I'm careful about where I do it, and I paste a pleasant expression on my face and keep my head on a swivel.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

g-man wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:54 am
Exactly. It’s a semi-gentrified bar district, but a bar district nonetheless. Spent many a Saturday night parked with a group of other bikers in the lot adjacent to where the shooting occurred, for free entertainment watching the drunks. That’s why the police response was under a minute: they were already there, like they are every Saturday.
Pretty much what I figured - bar districts always have their own roving police presence on heavy drinking nights. (Here in College Station that's Thurs-Fri-Sat; which is the nights the Northgate crew from CSPD works. 4 - 8 officers, with that lower number being in the summer, when the students are mostly gone.)

I wonder how much the fact that the shooter apparently wore body armor prolonged his ability to keep shooting - cops patrolling the bar district are usually foot or maybe bike mobile (due to the density of pedestrian and vehicle traffic) and thus probably armed only with pistols.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

One other thing about a bar district: aside from the patrolling cops, the likelihood is that almost nobody will have a gun - because bars (establihments that generate 51% or more of their revenue from the sales of alcohol) are No Go zones for guns, even in states with permissive firearm carry laws.

So when you concentrate a bunch of bars in one area - the bar district - the streets around those bars, and even nieghboring business establishments, become a kind of de facto gun free zone, because it's full of people who are moving to or from the gun free bars.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Precision

Post by Precision »

Langenator wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:56 am One other thing about a bar district: aside from the patrolling cops, the likelihood is that almost nobody will have a gun - because bars (establihments that generate 51% or more of their revenue from the sales of alcohol) are No Go zones for guns, even in states with permissive firearm carry laws.

So when you concentrate a bunch of bars in one area - the bar district - the streets around those bars, and even nieghboring business establishments, become a kind of de facto gun free zone, because it's full of people who are moving to or from the gun free bars.
In TN, that isn't true. I can carry as I want in a bar. Unless they are posted "no guns". I just can't have a single drop of alcohol. Used to date the girl that got that changed after her husband was murdered by her stalker, in a bar; after she was disarmed by the previous law. They ran a Karaoke business that ran a certain circuit of bars.

Life happens and politicians and lawyers tend to fuck it up for the rest of us.

Also, I am hearing reports that his "body armor" was just a tac vest to carry a few mags, not armor at all. Not sure of the validity of either statement.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
randy

Post by randy »

In TN, that isn't true. I can carry as I want in a bar. Unless they are posted "no guns". I just can't have a single drop of alcohol.
Same in Ohio
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".