Bribes for college admissions

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Bribes for college admissions

Post by Vonz90 »

Am I the only one who thinks that the private schools should be auctioning off some admissions spots anyway?
Langenator

Re: Bribes for college admissions

Post by Langenator »

For these parents, the school their kid(s) go to is as much a status symbol as their car, their watch, etc.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I hadn't heard about this. One quote I found said something about "violating the sanctity of the college admissions process." Sanctity?

Private university: admit on whatever basis you want.

Public university: have published standards and stick with them.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

This simply reinforces to me that the "elite" schools are mostly about joining the right club and networking with the "right" people and not because their academics are any better than any of a number of other schools without the "prestige". If education is your primary goal, any number of the "lesser" schools will do a fine job. If partying is your primary goal, again, many of the non-prestige schools will be just as good.

Full disclosure: I went to one the state universities because it was close and automatically accepted me based on my ACT and high school grades since I was a resident of the state. So I never went through the whole application process, since it would have been a wast of time as no way was I going anywhere else due to financial and family considerations.

That being said, my experience in real world was that attendance at one of the "elite" schools was no predictor if the person was competent in their field. Some were brilliant, most were OK and some were just plain worthless. Of course I avoided fields (such as politics) where the networking of such schools is a major player, but can't say that I'm impressed with a lot the grads (of any political stripe) that came to national prominence and tout their school credentials.

One of the reasons I hope that Trump nominates someone like Amy Coney Barrett for the next USSC vacancy is bring some real diversity to the court (I.e. not a graduate of Yale or Harvard or any of the other Northeast schools)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:54 pm This simply reinforces to me that the "elite" schools are mostly about joining the right club and networking with the "right" people and not because their academics are any better than any of a number of other schools without the "prestige". If education is your primary goal, any number of the "lesser" schools will do a fine job. If partying is your primary goal, again, many of the non-prestige schools will be just as good.
Yes, and I am okay with that for private schools. Although there is some very good scholarship going on too (and plent of drivel). On any case it should be on their time and do what they like.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

And (as previously stated) this is much about status symbols/bragging rights for the parents as anything. "My kid goes to/graduated from USC/Stanford/Yale or whatever."

I have a cousin who has been sliding "My daughter graduated from Cal" into conversation ever since she graduated last spring.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

randy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:54 pm This simply reinforces to me that the "elite" schools are mostly about joining the right club and networking with the "right" people and not because their academics are any better than any of a number of other schools without the "prestige"
I could have told you that when i was 12. :roll:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Vonz90 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:09 pm Am I the only one who thinks that the private schools should be auctioning off some admissions spots anyway?
Only if they are truly private. I think there are only a handful of evangelical colleges that still "opt out" of us.gov funding programs so they are free to "discriminate" against LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ.

The list of colleges in the sting include Princeton, Stanford, USC, among others. All of these colleges get us.gov funds for "research", scholarships, student loans, affirmative action, etc., so they are not "private schools".

Besides, we are all losers here. The Chinese are looking at this with a combination of amazement and amusement. Even Communist China, where everyone is "equal" is a brutal meritocracy. There are no participation trophies, and there are no do-overs. I've met some reasonably bright (compared to US of A, anyway) middle school dropouts. Didn't pass the test, didn't get the next grade. You don't get a high school diploma for showing up, and no-one, not even the child of Premier Xi, gets into a top school without top test scores. No, you don't get affirmative action for being on the sailing team.

If you are OK with affirmative action for rich stupid kids (along with affirmative action for designated minority stupid kids), you should be learning Chinese because you will be working for Chinese soon.

Short answer: NO. They are not free to auction off admissions spots. Not with my tax dollars.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

D5CAV wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:30 am
Vonz90 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:09 pm Am I the only one who thinks that the private schools should be auctioning off some admissions spots anyway?
Only if they are truly private. I think there are only a handful of evangelical colleges that still "opt out" of us.gov funding programs so they are free to "discriminate" against LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ.

The list of colleges in the sting include Princeton, Stanford, USC, among others. All of these colleges get us.gov funds for "research", scholarships, student loans, affirmative action, etc., so they are not "private schools".

Besides, we are all losers here. The Chinese are looking at this with a combination of amazement and amusement. Even Communist China, where everyone is "equal" is a brutal meritocracy. There are no participation trophies, and there are no do-overs. I've met some reasonably bright (compared to US of A, anyway) middle school dropouts. Didn't pass the test, didn't get the next grade. You don't get a high school diploma for showing up, and no-one, not even the child of Premier Xi, gets into a top school without top test scores. No, you don't get affirmative action for being on the sailing team.

If you are OK with affirmative action for rich stupid kids (along with affirmative action for designated minority stupid kids), you should be learning Chinese because you will be working for Chinese soon.

Short answer: NO. They are not free to auction off admissions spots. Not with my tax dollars.
1. Why do you assume that markets work everywhere else they operate but not here? Schools will still have to balance vs what it does to their reputation with their potential student body make up. Well they will have direct market feedback if they screw that up.
2. The idea that college admissions to these types of schools should be granted by blind meritocracy is relatively recent (post WW1). I think we did alright then, better than now actually.
3. If you think the princelings of all the party officials in China are competing for university spots on merit, I have a bridge to sell you.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I briefly worked with a young lady who was a recent Harvard graduate (BBA) she was dumber than a bag of glass hammers. I'm forever unimpressed with the Ivy League.