STEM wasn't good enough? Now it's STEAM?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Weetabix

STEM wasn't good enough? Now it's STEAM?

Post by Weetabix »

A local "gee whiz, here's a neat science trick" museum is trying to entice kids in to encourage STEAM skills. "STEAM"? Apparently, they added Arts to the rest. I don't like that at all. They're separate things that CAN be combined, but i don't think they should be jumbled.

I took my kids there when they were young. The people would demonstrate neat tricks with no explanation of the science behind it. I provided that explanation. It was nice not to have to set up the demonstration, but I think it would have been better if they had explained it. That way more kids would know what was going on.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
skb12172

Re: STEM wasn't good enough? Now it's STEAM?

Post by skb12172 »

Not a new thing. Two of my kids graduated from a STEAM Academy high school.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

What was the Arts portion?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Various musical ensembles, plus other music, theater, and arts related courses. Truthfully, not much different than a regular HS, other than the size. Other high schools here have between 1800 - 2500 students. STEAM was limited to 600, 150 per grade.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
randy

Post by randy »

One of my Targeting school instructors introduced us to the section on doing the calculations for employment of cluster munitions as the point where "weaponeering leaves the realm of science and enters the realm of art".

Somehow I don't think that would fall in with how those that stuck the A into STEM think. :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

You're Killing Me, Smalls...😆
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Maybe more fitting. When you earn your degree and find no one will hire you, you can say its a STEAMing pile of shit.
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Not sure how I feel about this. I think Art has a place with all of the above. There's a bit of art to a perfectly orchestrated titration. Tech and engineering have both form and functional elements. Math, if you're good at it, is a whole nuther language. I don't think art in and of itself should be lumped with the others though. Art's a luxury of society. Society exists because of the others.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I love art, which is why I do not think it should be lumped in with the STEM. The value of art is that it is fundamentally different.