Engineers in Oregon

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Re: Engineers in Oregon

Post by Vonz90 »

Gunnuts wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:44 pm,
Meh, you guys would be nothing without a good drafter to turn the crap you smear on paper into fine technical drawings. ;)
A good CAD designer (I have not actually seen anyone titled as a drafter in a long time) is definitely a big help. A crappy one makes the job twice as hard. As for me, I do my own CAD almost all time and own drawings >50% of the time (at least until recently, as a Director I do not get to do that nearly as much).
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

I will say that in my own field, flight testing, there really is no licensing...but it helps your career prospects to have graduated from one of the Test Pilot Schools.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

I work as a Defense Contractor. My business title is Senior Engineer Level III. Both my degrees are in Physics. Half our "Engineers" have degrees in Physics or Chemistry. One might be a Chem E.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Vonz90 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:48 pm
Gunnuts wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:44 pm,
Meh, you guys would be nothing without a good drafter to turn the crap you smear on paper into fine technical drawings. ;)
A good CAD designer (I have not actually seen anyone titled as a drafter in a long time) is definitely a big help. A crappy one makes the job twice as hard. As for me, I do my own CAD almost all time and own drawings >50% of the time (at least until recently, as a Director I do not get to do that nearly as much).
The university I was at before the one I'm at now required their engineering students to take a CAD course. Interestingly, this was against the wishes of the accrediting body for engineering schools ("if they want to be engineers, they'll learn CAD on their own" or some such reasoning). The faculty defended the practice on the grounds that employers loved it, because their students needed less "ramp time," to borrow a term from sales management.* Their placement rates, by all accounts, were excellent.

*Me, I'm marketing -- the kind they used to call a "quant jock" -- not engineering, though I did two years of Chem.E as undergrad before changing my major and school. I still kick myself for not being mature enough to stick it out.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!