Missinary killed by North Sentinilese

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
HTRN

Missinary killed by North Sentinilese

Post by HTRN »

John Chau earned a Darwin award after illegally landing on North Sentinel Island. He was killed almost immediately after landing on the beach in a rain of arrows.

The North Sentineles are one of the last uncontacted tribes in the world, speaking a language unlike any other - estimates on how long they've been there are upwards of 55k years, and almost all previous contacts have been extremely hostile. India has taken responsibilty for them and enacted a do not aproach line of 3 miles from the island.

The fishermen who dropped Chau off have been arrested.

Linky
Last edited by HTRN on Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Langenator

Re: Missinary killed my North Sentinilese

Post by Langenator »

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Windy Wilson

Re: Missinary killed by North Sentinilese

Post by Windy Wilson »

“But that rule doesn’t apply to me because I’m a good person and my intentions are pure.”
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Perhaps the United States could learn from their example.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Windy Wilson wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:01 pm “But that rule doesn’t apply to me because I’m a good person and my intentions are pure.”
I think he knew the danger to himself, but went anyway. But.............. :?

....what he wasn't thinking about was the biological danger that he presented to the Sentinelese natives. They have been isolated for thousands of years. They quite likely have no immunity to numerous diseases that modern humans shrug off. A strain of flu that makes you or I moderately sick for a week or two might prove extremely deadly to them.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

But I don't think the Sentinelese are thinking about bacteria and viruses. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been dragging him around on the beach. You're right, though, Chau wasn't thinking about bacteria and viruses when he should have been, so his Darwin Award is well deserved.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Clearly they have a highly refined culture and no need to learn of the good news of Jesus Christ. Yeah, let's just leave them alone.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:31 am Clearly they have a highly refined culture and no need to learn of the good news of Jesus Christ. Yeah, let's just leave them alone.
You should respect immigration laws.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:31 am Clearly they have a highly refined culture and no need to learn of the good news of Jesus Christ. Yeah, let's just leave them alone.
Clearly, all those other people shot full of arrows the second they set foot on the island werent special like me, so i wont be shot full of arrows.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I suspect he knew full well the risk to his personal safety and life But, I also suspect he valued their eternal safety above his life.

Jesus at the last supper on his way to the cross,
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
Gospel of John 15 vs 13
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story