Political Correctness vs Science

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Political Correctness vs Science

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix

Re: Political Correctness vs Science

Post by Weetabix »

*sigh* We're doomed to regress to the dark ages. Oh, well. It was a good ride.

I suppose there's hope for my great grandchildren. After a few decades of freezing and hunger, maybe the lunatics will be focused on something like survival and let the grownups get back to work.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

The funny thing is, I do not think most women are bothered by this at all. I discussed this with my wife and while she was not familiar with the hypothesis, after I I described it to her, she basically said well yeah duh.

However, I guess if you have your whole life built around the thesis that women and men are Identical despite all the evidence to the contrary, then you probably have a lot of weirdness in you in the first place.
BDK

Post by BDK »

The only thing controversial is that people are still funding those studies. That's been, pretty well accepted for a very long time.

Males are much more fungible, genetically, so greater risks can be taken with them/a high value male can greatly improve an entire population. (Hence why a grand champion bull is much more valuable than a grand champion heifer... Er, OK, so w. modern embryo transplants females are more valuable for breeding purposes, but still a long way from a bull.)
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I'm just watching the show. Should be interesting, but I'm pretty sure how it's going to end.

Kipling nailed it 100 years ago in his last poem "The Gods of the Copybook Headings". It was his last poem because it was a slam on the progressives, who turned on Kipling after that poem was published, and ended his publishing career. It was almost impossible to find this poem until the internet a few years ago. Prior to the internet, I only found it in a retrospective on Kipling published in the 1940s that talked about his waning years before his death. I never saw it in any poetry anthologies in US sanctioned schools prior to discovering it in that old used book in the remainder bin.

http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_copybook.htm

The poem is worth reading in its entirety, however, for those of you who are attention-span challenged, here is the last stanza, which sums up where we are going:
And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
Laws of nature don't care how you feel. If you are upset that the laws of gravity are going to spoil your wonderful experience of flight from a 20 story building, you only have a few seconds to be upset about it.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Kim was big on that poem, remember? It is dead on.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

D5CAV wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:02 pm I'm just watching the show. Should be interesting, but I'm pretty sure how it's going to end.

Kipling nailed it 100 years ago in his last poem "The Gods of the Copybook Headings".
It was one of Jerry Pournelle's favorites. He quoted it often.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

And Kipling published that in 1919, when the Russian Civil War was roaring along, but before the Gulags got going under Lenin, and way before Stalin perfected terror.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy