Google Shadow Bans

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Google Shadow Bans

Post by Vonz90 »

Cobar

Re: Google Shadow Bans

Post by Cobar »

That is not particularly surprising.

After Clinton lost and they realized that the majority were no longer taking their marching orders from the New York Times, they have been scrambling to push their narrative anywhere they can and shutdown and dissent.
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

They keep calling it a private company but I think the laws need changing for this. Facebook, twitter, these are all the modern day equivalent of people out on the town square jawing about whatever. If it is a crime and a violation of the 1st amendment for someone to silence a person out and about in public, then it should be the same on the internet.

Let these companies get hit with big expensive lawsuits for doing this to people and you will see things change. Let people in these companies who are doing this get hit personally with both civil and criminal (conspiracy) penalties and you will see this problem get fixed even faster.
randy

Post by randy »

I agree with the argument that as private companies they have the right to carry or not anyone they want.

What they should be forced to do is be upfront with it and publicly declare who they are banning and why. Of course at some point that would contradict their "free and open access" image their propaganda departments try to promulgate.

I don't think they realize that sooner or later this "shadow" crap is going to bite them in the ass. You want .gov sticking their nose in your business, this is how you get it. And they don't seem to have caught on that sooner or later that the folks in the .gov are not going to have the same worldview as exists in their Silicon Valley bubble world.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Google has been a verb for years. They're almost a utility now. As they intended. Shouldn't they be treated differently from a normal private company?
I use ixquick myself.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz90 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:54 pm https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... -again.php

Related
This is my shocked face. :|
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:36 pm I agree with the argument that as private companies they have the right to carry or not anyone they want.

What they should be forced to do is be upfront with it and publicly declare who they are banning and why. Of course at some point that would contradict their "free and open access" image their propaganda departments try to promulgate.
Yes, exactly that. They need to be up front about what they filter and give people the option to opt out.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

So I have to bake a cake for a Muslim but Google can ban a dumbass like Alex Jones?
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.