BBC publishes news in pidgin English

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Weetabix

BBC publishes news in pidgin English

Post by Weetabix »

Apparently, the BBC has decided that it can gain a larger readership in Africa by publishing the news in pidgin English. I want this to be satire, but I can't be sure.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
rightisright

Re: BBC publishes news in pidgin English

Post by rightisright »

It's not satire. Word is they are planning a Snoop Dog Speak edition.
Jered

Post by Jered »

It's...not satire.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I want them to create a BBC Pidgin Twitter account. That would be perfect.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
BDK

Post by BDK »

Have they met Africans?

Admittedly this is just from personal contact, but they tend to be VERY proud of speaking proper English. (I have only met ones that went to University though)
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

According to the linguist I know, it isn't a pidgin unless it includes the word, "savvy". There are pidgins on various Pacific Islands like Guam and Saipan. I don't know if the people who speak them would appreciate publication in the pidgin vs publication in either of the two languages that have crashed together to form the pidgin.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Cringeworthy. Like when your parents try to be cool. My hometown fishwrap used to try to suck up to urban culture. They are now down to a circulation of 40,000 in a metro area of 500,000.
Last edited by skb12172 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I thought I saw "sabi" or "savvi" in at least one story when this originally posted.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

The only thing I can say in any pidgin, Okinawan, specifically, is "Hey, you, Pea Ex Skosh, catch me grennex."
And that supposedly means, "Hey, you, if you're going to the PX soon, can you get me some Kleenex."
It's supposed to be useful to know phrases in different languages, but this is the first time since 1978 that I've used that phrase.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Thanks to reading Lawdog's posts about growing up in West Africa, I could actually make out the content of those articles.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.