CA farmers not paying market rate for labor

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
HTRN

Re: CA farmers not paying market rate for labor

Post by HTRN »

You see that kind of thing anytime somebody gets the bright idea to move poor people into solidly middle class areas, as they know they're going to bring crime with them. The same thing happened lovally 20 years ago when some builder wanted to put low income housing in nearby, in an area that even then the houses were going for more than 300 grand. Then, it got squashed by the city govt, allegedly at the behest of the borough president who got inundated with angry letters and phonecalls.

Instead, they put in townhouses, which still brought in a poorer element (although not nearly as bad off as what was originally intended), and still saw a multiyear rise in car theft, casual pilferage, and in one case, burglary (it had to be somebody local, as the people in question were o ly gone a couple of hours - somebody knew who they were, and knew when they left). Now that even the townhouses are worth 400 grand, its largely gone back to being trouble free.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jered

Post by Jered »

TabascoKid wrote: There have been stories in the MSM recently that tell about farmers who are trying H2A and finding violent, sometimes criminal, opposition from the local community. H2A makes the farmer responsible for housing. One farmer built dorms for his visa holders against the wishes if the townsfolk and saw them burnt down before they were finished.
I've talked to some farmers that a couple of years ago had started bringing in Filipinos because the Mexican H2As were becoming entitled and hard to deal with.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Telling them to move on the down the road, if they don't like it they can lumpia it.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:You see that kind of thing anytime somebody gets the bright idea to move poor people into solidly middle class areas, as they know they're going to bring crime with them. The same thing happened lovally 20 years ago when some builder wanted to put low income housing in nearby, in an area that even then the houses were going for more than 300 grand. Then, it got squashed by the city govt, allegedly at the behest of the borough president who got inundated with angry letters and phonecalls.

Instead, they put in townhouses, which still brought in a poorer element (although not nearly as bad off as what was originally intended), and still saw a multiyear rise in car theft, casual pilferage, and in one case, burglary (it had to be somebody local, as the people in question were o ly gone a couple of hours - somebody knew who they were, and knew when they left). Now that even the townhouses are worth 400 grand, its largely gone back to being trouble free.

My own former neighborhood of Mariner's Harbor was pretty nice (in a basic working-class way, nothing fancy, but everyone had a job, most people had a used car, and nobody committed crimes) before they built the Projects and later turned the Conca D'Oro on Forest Ave into a welfare hotel.

Actually, my immediate area was pretty nice. Old established families, most of whom were related by blood or marriage (and whose last names mostly ended in "o"). New family moved in across the street, kid robbed neighbor down the street from me (husband's brother lived up the street, wife's sister lived around the corner). Made the mistake of bragging about what he stole, someone recognized it, and the whole effing neighborhood was out in front of his house with baseball bats. Kid's mother called the cops and said "My son robbed a neighbor, please come and arrest him before the neighbors kill him."