A well regulated militia

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Johnnyreb

Re: A well regulated militia

Post by Johnnyreb »

I read something about this years back, in a book about gun culture in different countries printed at least 10 years ago I think it was.

It talked about how Latvia, Estonia, etc., after they were freed from the soviet union, kept the communist gun laws that kept most of the population unarmed. The gist was that these countries have no natural defenses such as rivers, mountains, etc. against Russian invasion, so the only real way they can defend themselves is the Swiss way, to make sure all the men are well armed. But at the time the book was published at least, this wasn't happening.

I guess we have to give Putin some credit at least for inspiring Estonians to change that and encourage their people to have guns and some training.

I must say, from the pictures in the article, that camo they are wearing looks like it works pretty good when things are green.
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote:
Precision wrote:
Cobar wrote:Nope. Make the bastards pay for every inch with blood. Just know that it is a losing battle and do it anyway.
make them believe the axiom of a rifle behind every blade of grass. If you can take 3-4 of them before you get dead, it was a good death.
Estonias total population is under 1.5 million. In Georgia, when Russian troops came under fire from partisans, they responded with artillery. WHICH IS MY POINT. They should have been buying surplus mortars, artillery pieces, and anti tank weapons. Hell, most of that could have been had at firesale prices, as alot of it has been upgraded fairly recently by the USMil. In other words,Defense in depth, AKA the Swiss model. If there grand strategy is "resist AFTER occupation", they're screwed.
I completely agree with your statement. My point is that if you are going to die anyway and lets face it 1.5 million vs the Soviets -- you are already dead. Then sell your life well and take several of the (raping bastards) invaders with you.

Artillery also means very quick hit and run tactics. Rocket launchers and bullets are much quicker to move than Artillery and mortars.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BDK

Post by BDK »

How many Finns did it take to stop the Soviets?

How many stone-age Afghans?

No one has seen an educated insurgency since the WWII era.

The Swiss also rely on terrain - and the defense in depth helps - but for that much of a size disparity and for dealing with invading conscripts, targeting command and officers may be much more paralyzing.

And, focus on media.
BDK

Post by BDK »

The Swiss are also big on long distance shooting.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Long-distance shooting is easier to accomplish in the mountains. Isn't Estonia pretty flat and forested? Simo Hayha would seem to be the model for them.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Windy Wilson wrote:Long-distance shooting is easier to accomplish in the mountains. Isn't Estonia pretty flat and forested? Simo Hayha would seem to be the model for them.
The Baltic stats are flat and swampy forests.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

You'd think there would be a few euros spread around the Baltic states to surreptitiously build mortars and RPG launchers while asking for "munitions donations" from certain Russian-disliking nations to the immediate north.

"No! These are not mortars, not cannons! These are how you say, Polack Telescopes! Ha! Ha! Silly Russians, you are friends, yes! (Ready the first barrage, Mikki)"
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The US and Ozz has started to replace m198 155mm howitzers with bleeding edge M777 units, who's principle claim to fame is reduced weight. The us is also starting to replace the current M252 81mm mortar with a lightweight version. Both the Us and Britain are in the process of removing the Harrier from inventory. MANPADS from a variety of source are available on the world market. In Europe, not so long ago, it was a buyers market for late model Leopard IIs, and more importantly, Pzh 2000s, which should scare the Russians shitless. Then theres the the various ATGMs on the market, Charlie G is made right in their backyard.

Which circles back to their main problems, lack of the two major ingredients of warfighting: money and manpower. With a population smaller than Brooklyns, and a GDP less than half the gross revenue of Costco, theyre really limited in what the can do.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I always thought the big deal about the Triple 7 is the Excalibur GPS round capability.

Given the Russkies' fondness for MRLs, I'm not sure if I'd want to use towed arty if I were the Balts. Unless it was small MRL, like a Nebelwerfer.

What would be great - mines. Especially the directional self-forging fragment kind, like the Iranians were giving the hajis in Iraq.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
BDK

Post by BDK »

Honestly, it means they need assasination squads for invading officers, and possibly invading politicians- I don't think bombing Russian cities would help, but I also don't think killing Russian politicians would really bother many Russians