Mass shooting at gay night club in Orlando

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Termite

Re: Possible mass shooting at gay night club in Orlando

Post by Termite »

scipioafricanus wrote:And the administration cares more about trannies pissing in different bathrooms.
Our current President is a total shithead........ :x
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Yeah, when I heard it took 3 hours for SWAT to stack up and enter... no wonder he shot over 100 people. Good to see police departments have adjusted their tactics over the years.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

scipioafricanus wrote:Yeah, when I heard it took 3 hours for SWAT to stack up and enter... no wonder he shot over 100 people. Good to see police departments have adjusted their tactics over the years.
I forget where it originated, but some blogger or someone started calling police/fire/EMS "second" responders. You are the first responder.

I was talking to my neighbor last night, and we began talking about how you have to attack and be willing to kill if you are targeted in a situation like this. Since current active shooter training is a hot mess of garbage, I'm thinking of some catchy guidelines to help people remember.

Something like:
-If he's within a first down (10yds), attack immediately with all of the violence possible, no matter what.
-If the room is bigger than half a basketball court, run and don't stop.
-If you are trapped in a room, barricade the door with anything you can, and arm yourself to kill with whatever you can find. If you have to stab him in the neck with an arm from a pair of sunglasses, or in the eye with a plastic spork, do it.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Termite wrote: Our current President is a total shithead........ :x
Yep. He's already trying to stir the pot for more gun control.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Having been to Afghanistan, it is obvious he grew up here and not there. The guys there (or a huge percentage of them) would be a lot more likely to line up to get into the club. Especially on Thursday.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Jered wrote:
Termite wrote: Our current President is a total shithead........ :x
Yep. He's already trying to stir the pot for more gun control.
The craphead spent THREE HOURS in a room full of unarmed people. He could have killed 50 and wounded 50 more with a caplock musket.

Shit, he could have killed that many people with a sharpened SPOON.

But if you say that you're dancing in the blood of the victims.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Kommander wrote:
evan price wrote:Shooter was a US citizen, child of two Afghan immigrants, born here. How exactly would an immigration ban prevent this?

He had been investigated by the fbi twice, 2013 & 2014, for suspected radicalized islam connections.
Well some would say that's the problem right there. I read elsewhere that his father was a bit of an extremist as well, just not quite so gone to start shooting people.
t
Apparently the 2014 acquaintance that got the shooter investigated ended up driving a truck bomb into a Syrian army chow hall, or some such. After the investigation was closed. Maybe should have considered re-opening it after that.

About the father, from what I've read, he sounds more like a screwball Pashtun/Afghan nationalist than a radical Islamist. It's the ranting about the "Durand [Line] problem" and "brothers in Waziristan" that I'm basing that on. Waziristan, the NWFP, and the FATA parts of Pakistan are primarily Pashtun. Having those territories decide they want to be part of Afghanistan or "Pashtunistan" is one of Pakistan's major security nightmares. (There are actually more Pashtuns in Pakistan than in Afghanistan. Last I heard, Pashtuns were 40-45% of the Afghan population, and 99% of the Taliban.) His espoused support for the Taliban may be out of opposition to the current government put in place by the U.S. after we booted out the Taliban.

(I think it's worth noting that for as long as they've been on our bad guy list, the TB have not, to my knowledge, committed any terrorist acts themselves outside of Afghanistan and Pakistan. Gave AQ safe haven, yes, but they didn't attack us themselves. They have odious ideology and reprehensible ways of putting it into practice, but AFAIK, their ambitions are limited to the Af-Pak region. That includes keeping ISIS out, which is a good thing.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Orlando gunman also scouted Disney World as potential target

Can the OP or admins drop the "possibLE" from the thread title? we know there was a mass shooting now.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
randy

Post by randy »

dfwmtx wrote:Orlando gunman also scouted Disney World as potential target

Can the OP or admins drop the "possibLE" from the thread title? we know there was a mass shooting now.
Done, but responses to existing posts will still have the "possible" in the title
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

scipioafricanus wrote:Yeah, when I heard it took 3 hours for SWAT to stack up and enter... no wonder he shot over 100 people. Good to see police departments have adjusted their tactics over the years.
We don't have all the facts yet, but I get the impression that the majority of shooting occurred early on, there was a short firefight with responding cops at the entrance as he tried to leave, he retreated inside and it became a hostage situation, not an active shooter one.

Which would explain the delay of assaulting the club; getting recon, attempting negotiations etc. I'm not clear on what triggered them going in, as in maybe he started shooting again?

So, without more details I'm not judging the timing of the assault. Active Shooter /= Hostage situation

Now, if it turns out the goblin was executing people during the entire period, then yeah, major disconnect from every department I'm familiar with in how to deal with an active shooter (form up a quick Hunter/Killer team with first 2 or 3 on scene and go after the shooter).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".