Wing Walker, Pilot Killed in Dayton Air Show Plane Crash

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Termite

Wing Walker, Pilot Killed in Dayton Air Show Plane Crash

Post by Termite »

Newser) – A wing walker and pilot have been killed in a fiery plane crash at an air show near Dayton, Ohio, the AP reports. The names of those killed have not yet been released, but the event's website had wing walker Jane Wicker scheduled to perform at the time of the crash. "My understanding is there was nothing [emergency responders] could do for the victims of the crash," says a police official, as per WHIO TV. The Vectren Air Show has been cancelled for the rest of the day, and the Ohio State Highway Patrol and Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the crash further.
LINK

Video clip at the link.

IMHO: Looks like an accelerated stall on one wing while trying to recover from inverted flight with the wing walker out on one wing. MUCH too close to the ground for a recovery.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Darrell

Re: Wing Walker, Pilot Killed in Dayton Air Show Plane Crash

Post by Darrell »

Wow. :shock:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Greg

Post by Greg »

sigh

Can I watch a happy video now? Tired of watching people die.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

May God rest both their souls in peace. At least, for them, they died doing something they loved. If only the rest of us could be so lucky (and go as quickly - which is MUCH better than my mom dying in discomfort from Breast Cancer).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
randy

Post by randy »

Looks like I picked a good year to be out of town and not supporting on site EMS dispatch communications. It'll be interesting to get back as see what happened behind the scenes (from a professional stand point) and see what lessons there are to be learned.

The thing that sucks about my job is that people often die to give us those lessons.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

randy wrote:The thing that sucks about my job is that people often die to give us those lessons.
As happens with many of us in the public's view and who deal with public safety.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Greg wrote:sigh

Can I watch a happy video now? Tired of watching people die.
http://www.wimp.com/otterwalrus/
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

308Mike wrote:
randy wrote:The thing that sucks about my job is that people often die to give us those lessons.
As happens with many of us in the public's view and who deal with public safety.
In Civil Engineering, not every bridge or building that collapses does so after hours.
Heck, in law school, all those turbid cased written by lawyer-politicians who can't hook three words together when ten will do nicely? In every case, somebody got hurt, whether physically, in Torts, by someone breaking a promise as in Contracts, or both, in Criminal Law (which is where all those Constitutional Law cases start).
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy