Ukraine invasion

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
scipioafricanus

Re: Ukraine invasion

Post by scipioafricanus »

evan price wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:51 pm Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania are direct border countries also nato members.
Left them alone.
Poland and Romania should be really worried right now.
Taiwan more so.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:19 pm
blackeagle603 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:06 pm
Now they want the Ukraine RIGHT ON RUSSIA's border in NATO. And today Russia is saying "Oh, no you're not."
Yeah, that was never going to be acceptable to Russia.

It's like these "representatives" of ours never read a history book, heard of Napolean or have any understanding of the phrase "Geography is destiny."
So Russia has occupied and brutalized these places for hundreds of years and want to keep doing it, so you want to give them a veto on those places attempts to protect themselves. Interesting, but I cannot say I agree.
I agree.

And it's not like Russians don't already have a deep understanding of the value of promises you can't or won't enforce.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

evan price wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:51 pm Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania are direct border countries also nato members.
Left them alone.
Poland is in NATO
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Left them alone.
They went after Ukraine because they want a warm water port with access to the Atlantic. They've basically siezed control of Tamman bay for at least a year.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Left them alone.
Dimona should be getting a lot of phone calls about now.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Germany has apparently lifted weapons export restrictions to Ukraine and may be agreeing to cut Russia from SWIFT. Apparently Hungary and Italy are still on the fence.

I.would include a link, but after a brief respite, I cannot post links again.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

A guy I work with observed today that Putin's recent actions are consistent with somebody who is terminally ill and therefore no longer gives a fuck. He's always been an evil douchebag, but lately it's like he's snapped completely.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:28 pm A guy I work with observed today that Putin's recent actions are consistent with somebody who is terminally ill and therefore no longer gives a fuck. He's always been an evil douchebag, but lately it's like he's snapped completely.
That tracks with some things I've been hearing from various folks that worked in the diplomatic community. "He's not the Putin I knew".

Given he's KGB, it's quite possible the "Putin they knew" was never the real Putin, but it is possible they are on to something.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
evan price

Post by evan price »

Vonz90 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:00 am
Left them alone.
Poland is in NATO
So Putin takes Ukraine.
Now Poland and Romania are on the new borders.
"I won't have Nato members on my borders"
Rinse and repeat.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

In other news, the dementia patient, in light of the growing energy crisis due to the Russia/Ukraine conflict, makes a command decision.. and Cancels all new oil and gas leases.. :shock:

https://apnews.com/article/climate-busi ... 11ff5f8026

Its like they take any given situation, and ask themselves "how can we make this worse?"
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt