Do the rich control politics

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Do the rich control politics

Post by Vonz90 »

MiddleAgedKen

Re: Do the rich control politics

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Phelan is right about many of the claims made by Stiglitz, but the point he misses or ignores is that the globalist elite encompasses the upper echelons of not only both (increasingly irrelevant) parties, but what we might call for lack of a better term "big business, big government, and big NGO." I sadly and reluctantly conclude that maybe C. Wright Mills was approximately right all along.

Mills The Power Elite
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:21 pm Phelan is right about many of the claims made by Stiglitz, but the point he misses or ignores is that the globalist elite encompasses the upper echelons of not only both (increasingly irrelevant) parties, but what we might call for lack of a better term "big business, big government, and big NGO." I sadly and reluctantly conclude that maybe C. Wright Mills was approximately right all along.

Mills The Power Elite
Sure, there is a "power elite" with its own interest set, I will conceed that. But it is subdivided into groups, and they have very different sets of interests on Some points. Some support the left no matter what, some trim to try to keep influence on both sides and some support the right no matter. Of course the bureaucracy has its own set of interests too, but some of those conflict with different parts of the above, and some do not.

In other words, it is complex and messy and changes. In the end, the people get the fracking government they vote for, even when it is stupid and contradictory.

If you want to see something interesting, watch huge hunks of the "power elite" support Trump or at least go neutral if Sanders gets the Dem nomination (but not all, because it is not monolithic.)
BDK

Post by BDK »

At the local level, much more so, but usually ones that are more corrupt
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Same answer as other existential questions such as:

Is the Pope Catholic?
Do bears s##t in the woods?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
randy

Post by randy »

Nobel prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz ...
Paul Krugman is a Nobel prize winning economist as well. That's not as impressive as they think it is in giving this guy credibility.

(In general I consider a Nobel prize in any field outside the hard sciences (Physics, Chemistry etc) as more like winning the Prom Queen than having any actual indication of merit.)

The reason the Rich control politics is the same reason that leftist political movements have so many people at their rallys.

The rest of us are too busy trying to earn a living and meeting our responsibilities.

This leaves the political activist field to those who have the luxury of time and money (in case of the rich) or don't have to perform actual productive work to make a living (academics, lobbyists etc.) and losers that blame everyone else for their lack of a productive life and become activists to avoid getting actual productive work (The Free Shit Army that makes up the bulk of leftist crowds).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

$158M without gaining a single delegate. A new record.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... t-void.php
randy

Post by randy »

Apparently the Bloomberg saw that and said "Hold my beer, watch this..."

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/blo ... ses-biden/
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

You ever get the feeling that Bloombergs campaign is the most expensive example in history of "Small Man Syndrome"? :ugeek: :?:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

If he is so smart with his money, why was he advertising on Gun Youtube Channels like Jerry Miculek's?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka