The Virginia resistance

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
randy

Re: The Virginia resistance

Post by randy »

(H/T to Instapundit)

Virginia: County Board of Supervisors Forms an Active Militia
County Administrator Erc Young laid out their thought process: “Our position is that Article I, Section 13, of the Constitution of Virginia reserves the right to ‘order’ militia to the localities,” Young said. “Therefore, counties, not the state, determine what types of arms may be carried in their territory and by whom. So, we are ‘ordering’ the militia by making sure everyone can own a weapon.”
The militia ordinance also calls for concealed weapons training for any county resident that is eligible to own a gun. Further, it called for the local public school to begin including firearm safety classes.
Put another batch of popcorn on.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Vonz90 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:38 am At 90%

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... uaries.php
Interested to see what the state legislators next move is...
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Cant - see Article 4, section 3, clause 1:
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

How did WV split off? I guess VA and Congress allowed it?

HTRN's quote appears to allow it if everyone involved is agreeable.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Jered

Post by Jered »

WV seceded from Virginia during the Civil War
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:31 am WV seceded from Virginia during the Civil War
Of course WV can’t be a legitimate state under the constitution if secession is illegal....
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:02 am
Jered wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:31 am WV seceded from Virginia during the Civil War
Of course WV can’t be a legitimate state under the constitution if secession is illegal....
The Supreme Court didn't hold secession to be illegal until after West Virginia was admitted to the Union as a state. :mrgreen:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:45 pm
Cant - see Article 4, section 3, clause 1:
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
It says "..no new States shall be formed..." This isn't the formation of a new state, it's the annexation of parts on one state by another, or the adjustment of the state border, from another point of view.

I've seen much more trivial language differences become major court cases. To my non-law school trained eye this looks like something the Supremes would need to adjudicate.

Which means time to pop some more popcorn if any of the counties take them up on it.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".