This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Militia at the border

Post by Vonz90 »

Termite

Re: Militia at the border

Post by Termite »

Yep.

You knew this was going to happen, sooner or later. This is what happens when government refuses to do its proper job.

Fox News link
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
g-man

Post by g-man »

Gov. Michelle Grisham wrote: "...and it should go without saying that regular citizens have no authority to arrest or detain anyone."
Except that NM Stat § 31-4-14 SPECIFICALLY includes "or a private person" in the list of people who can, in certain instances make arrests without warrants. In this case, it could be argued that since the federal offence occurring when they jumped the border includes the 'immigrants' (gotta love how even FOX news omits the 'illegal' qualifier) would reasonably be charged with a crime applicable under 31-4-14... a citizen's arrest would be legal in this case.

Either way, the Governor is flat wrong in her statement.

Also: Democrat governor claims President's identifying the issue as a crisis is not true.

Democrat governor then withdraws troops from border, making it true, whether it was before or not.

#PoliticianLogic
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
randy

Post by randy »

CBP spokesman Carlos A. Diaz told The Times that the agency "does not endorse private groups or organizations taking enforcement matters into their own hands."
One of my pet peeves, as they ignore, or have forgotten that the law is already in "our own hands". LE at any level, (local, state or Fed) are merely the designated agents for society to perform these duties on a day to day basis. That power is only delegated to them, it does not reside with them.

If they fail to perform their duties for any reason (even if it's relatively benign as being overwhelmed during a natural disaster) then it is not only the right but the duty of citizens to take necessary action.

Now how smart (tactically or strategically) the operations of these "militias" are, I don't have enough information to make an educated judgement. Are they supporting local border residents and land owners terrified and harassed by illegals/drug runners etc. that are not getting adequate protection from LE? Or a group such as that Texas open carry group that falls into the "I'm Helping Daddy!" category? Don't know.

As far as personally "taking the law into my own hands" I think of 911 as a Fire Support Net and LE as fire support (Arty and Air); I will jump on it at the earliest possible moment and let the "supporting fires" handle the situation if possible, but I am not going to let my position be overrun waiting for it to respond.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Assuming this story is accurate, looks like this group was in the "you're helping me boy"[/Foghorn Leghorn] category:

Leader of armed group stopping migrants at U.S.-Mexico border to face federal charges
Hopkins, a 69-year-old who also goes by the name Johnny Horton, was arrested in Sunland Park, New Mexico, on a federal complaint charging him with being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said in a statement.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
g-man

Post by g-man »

Linky no worky. Comes back here.

Given just the quote you included though, I'm inclined to believe he's not the sharpest spoon in the drawer. That said, that I have to be suspicious of FBI''s statement highlights how much of a cocked hat everything is in at this point. Growing up, "He's an FBI agent..." had connotations of unimpeachable quality of character, and that the work performed was hallowed and sacrosanct. Given Strzok, Comey, et.al., not so much anymore.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah basically what G-man said about the g-men these days. Not sure if the article I read earlier was the same one, but it said he was arrested once before for felon in possession, but didn’t serve any time. It also didn’t say he had been convicted at that time, or what his original felony conviction (if any) was for. Leads me to believe he may not actually be a prohibited person after all given that should have been an open and shut case if he was. Like maybe he had something in his record that was enough to maybe base a questionable arrest on (and more importantly a news release to defame the whole group with), but which doesn’t actually make him a felon. Like possibly an original conviction that was set aside or reversed on appeal.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Fixed link in original post:
http://news.trust.org//item/20190422134924-qr3i3/

Story bylined as from Reuters.

Updated link to a Fox story which just adds to the WTF factor. They Feds waited over a year to charge a "felon" with firearms possession?
Termite

Post by Termite »

It appears that the so-called militia leader in question did indeed have felony convictions, including impersonating a police officer.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/arre ... bama-soros
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Termite

Post by Termite »

If a local Sheriff is willing, he can solve this issue. Deputizing private citizens makes them part of his organization. May not want the liability, though.