Sanctuary Cities

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
D5CAV

Sanctuary Cities

Post by D5CAV »

I've always been a fan of "Sanctuary Cities", much to the chagrin of many of "Red State" friends, and to the surprise of my "Blue State" friends. Of course, when I explain to my "Blue State" friends the reason for my support, they react with horror.

Specifically, if it's OK to for States and Cities as "Sanctuaries" to prohibit local law enforcement from cooperating with federal law enforcement in the enforcement of federal immigration laws, what stops States or Cities to do the same for federal tax laws or federal gun laws?

Federal laws are Federal laws, right?

Seems like someone has gotten that memo: https://www.theorganicprepper.com/secon ... nctuaries/

Some cities, counties and even states have enacted "Sanctuary" status regarding gun laws.

As the old saying goes, "Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander".

I'm still waiting for "Sanctuary" status regarding enforcement on IRS code.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old Grafton

Re: Sanctuary Cities

Post by Old Grafton »

THe IRS can take every dime you have electronically. Never get between the .gov and money they think is theirs.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Quite a few illinois counties have passed gun sanctuary laws and declarations. Needless to say that doesn't include crook county/shitcago.

Governor toilet-boy and his supermajority legislature have bills pending to make that "illegal" for various definitions of illegal. We'll see.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I wrote an article about this. Awaiting its publication.

Goose Gander Sauce is so correct.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Some tried it with suppressors and machine guns, I believe Oklahoma and Montana. Big Fed didn't like it.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I think it was Montana.

The response from the Feebs was basically "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough".

They backed down.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Of course!
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
George Orwell "Animal Farm"
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I think the Montana law said, in short, "If it's made in Montana and sold in Montana, it's not interstate commerce, therefore the fedgov can't regulate it."

Which would be a direct challenge to SCOTUS rulings in Wickard v. Filburn and Gonzalez v. Raich. The first dealt with grain grown by a farmer to feed his own cows, in excess of the acreage allowed him by some FDR New Deal program. The second was medical marijuana in CA, grown, sold, and smoked in state.

SCOTUS said, in both cases, that intrastate commerce influences interstate commerce, therefore the fedgov can regulate it.

Personnally, I think it's a load of horse manure, convoluted reasoning conjured to reach a desired outcome politically desirous to the powers that be, and that all the justices who formed the majorities in both cases (but moreso Wickard, because that set the precedent) deserve to be tarred and feathered, or have their corpses exhumed and defecated on.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus