Education - Restorative Justice

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Education - Restorative Justice

Post by Vonz90 »

https://edexcellence.net/articles/resto ... -reporting

Short answer, it isn't working and the media is doing their best to hide it.
Precision

Re: Education - Restorative Justice

Post by Precision »

democrats with bylines - best description of Mainstream media I have heard, that didn't involve profanity
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Does Betsy DeVos still evoke a fiery JackJack ( :evil: ) response among those in the field of academia?

Doesn't matter what she wants or why, she's the evil minion of Bad Orange Man?

Of course, intentions have always mattered more than results in schooling, no matter what the level. That's why we have such high per student spending with nothing additional to show for it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

And you wonder why teacher unions and public school advocates are hyperventilating.

It's not just in NC.
RALEIGH
Nearly 1 in 5 North Carolina students is not attending a traditional public school, and that percentage is likely to continue rising as more families choose alternative education options.

For the third year in a row, enrollment has fallen in North Carolina’s traditional public schools even as the number of students continues to rise in charter schools, private schools and homeschools. The percentage of the state’s 1.8 million students attending traditional public schools has dropped to 80.8 percent and is continuing to fall rapidly.
RTWT

This says about "56.6 million students will attend elementary and secondary schools, including 50.7 million students in public schools and 5.9 million in private schools."

But If I recollect the number I heard on radio sometime back was like 8.5M students nationwide if you count (estimate) for all the kids being schooled off-grid (home schools, non-reporting private schools/co-ops, unschooled)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

when you offer a crappy product and have a monopoly...

when you offer a crappy product and there is competent competition, things are different.

Considering the stories I hear daily about the complete lack of education at the GF's kids school, I am again tempted to open a Charter School. Unfortunately, in this county that might well be impossible. One organization had been attempting to do so for three years and has failed to get permission each year. Although, I think they are a bunch of scam artists personally, so that may be the issue there.

My school would have a strong ethics code. Violation would likely end in expulsion. School uniforms with daily inspection would occur. Physical discipline like push ups would be the standard, in class response. Phys Ed would be a REAL thing. As would rigorous adherence to actual learning. Everyone does STEM. Everyone is pushed to succeed and learn as quickly as they can. Major focus on utilizing online learning platforms to tailor each kid's experience. This frees the teachers to act as guides for each student instead of running lecture sessions for bored inmates. No more than 16 kids per class. No less than 5 hours of homework per week. Mandatory electives to include Constitution 101, Life Skills 101... Then grow a related business / businesses for the children to learn how to be a good employee and to learn business strategies. Have a hobby farm as part of the campus with the kids doing all the chores. Lower level grunt chores like mucking stalls being reserved for violations of protocol and more fun things like running the tractor or driving the truck to market being a bid for position.

I imagine after a couple of years, I would have a waiting list both for students and teachers.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Jered

Post by Jered »

Precision wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:49 pm Mandatory electives to include Constitution 101, Life Skills 101... Then grow a related business / businesses for the children to learn how to be a good employee and to learn business strategies. Have a hobby farm as part of the campus with the kids doing all the chores. Lower level grunt chores like mucking stalls being reserved for violations of protocol and more fun things like running the tractor or driving the truck to market being a bid for position.
One of my electives in high school was a class called "life practicum."

I got school credit for stuff like learning to change the oil in a car and stuff.

For PE, I got to split wood. With a maul.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

You had me until mandatory PE, which is effectively welfare for jocks, and creates an environment in which bullies thrive.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:33 am You had me until mandatory PE, which is effectively welfare for jocks, and creates an environment in which bullies thrive.
+1. Unless you're willing to give PE credit for things that don't involve chasing a stupid ball around in groups. Such as Scout type activities (25 mile trail hikes, backpacking, bicycle hikes, canoeing, distance swimming, cross country orienteering etc.) that weren't considered physical activities because they weren't done in a gym or on a school ball field.

I was able to pull a C in High school PE because you got a C if you showed up and dressed out every day. I did pull an A one quarter. They had us go through the American Red Cross basic first aid course. Since I had the First Aid merit badge and taught it to younger scouts all the time, I was basically an assistant instructor that quarter. It being a co-ed class and the fact that the jocks mostly got C's (for showing up) instead of the only A's most of them could count on made it sweeter.

College was much more reasonable as I was able to fufill the PE credits by taking Tae Kwon Do, and participating in the Army ROTC program one semester (that included a Field Training Exercise; Air assault, patrolling, ambushes, E&E, not a damned ball in sight).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Mandatory PE taught by the wife of one of my dad's political enemies (her husband and my dad were on the city council at the same time) kept me out of the running for valedictorian or at least salutatorian. That and Dad made me take typing taught by the same woman, because knowing how to type had probably kept him from being involved in active hostilities during the Vietnam unpleasantness.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:33 am You had me until mandatory PE, which is effectively welfare for jocks, and creates an environment in which bullies thrive.
B.S.- PE is extremely important. It is often/mostly done wrong, but that is besides the point as the same could be said about every other subject.

A real education has to include getting kids out of their comfort zone and that includes making athletic kids in the academic classes and geeks in athletics.