Ohio General Assembly overrides Kasich's gun rights veto

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
randy

Ohio General Assembly overrides Kasich's gun rights veto

Post by randy »

From the Buckeye Firearm's Association:

In a repeat of the last time a Lame Duck Ohio Republican Governor vetoed gun rights legislation (Bob Taft on Shall Issue CCW in 2004):
in a historic action, the Ohio General Assembly has overridden Governor Kasich's ill-advised veto of H.B. 228. The House override was on a 67 to 22 vote. The Ohio Senate override was on a 21 to 11 vote.
The law contains many powerful improvements for Ohio's 4 million gun owners. Here are a few:

Shifts the burden of proof back to the prosecutor so that you are innocent until proven guilty. Ohio is the only state in the U.S. that makes gun owners guilty until proven innocent in matters of self defense.

Strengthens "preemption" provisions in Ohio law that prevent local governments from passing their own gun laws.

Aligns the definition of "shotgun" to mirror Federal law to end the confusion about the Mossberg Shockwave and similar firearms that are currently legal under federal law but illegal under Ohio state law.

Eliminates the requirement to post no-gun signs in locations which have authorized the carrying of firearms.

Puts teeth into the law so that authorities can prosecute criminals who make "straw" purchases for felons.
The bill originally contained language removing the duty to retreat when in public spaces (referred to as "Stand Your Ground" by the ignorant and the media, but I repeat myself). That language was stripped out a month or so ago.

Kasich's veto seemed to be primarily a hissy fit that the legislature wouldn't help him pass NYT approved "common sense" gun "legislation to help him maintain his fantasy of being a contender for the presidency.

Oh, and apparently prosecutors don't like the idea of having to actually do their job in proving criminal guilt in a self defense case like their poor benighted brethren in the other 49 states.

Kasich has generally had a case of the ass against Ohio Gun Rights groups and legislation they support ever since one of them endorsed his Democratic opponent (Ted Strickland) a few years back based on, the Horror!, actual voting records and actions in office regarding gun rights rather than party affiliation and a refusal toe recognize the Magnificence that is John Kasich.

Buh Bye John, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Don't go away mad, just go away.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Old Grafton

Re: Ohio General Assembly overrides Kasich's gun rights veto

Post by Old Grafton »

"Buh Bye John, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Don't go away mad, just go away." No, actually, ESAD and soon.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

With Kasich's record, he has about as much a chance to win the presidency in 2020 as does Maxine Waters.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

randy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:26 pmEliminates the requirement to post no-gun signs in locations which have authorized the carrying of firearms
Can you elaborate on that one, it does not seem to make any sense. Not that anti-gun stuff does, but...
randy

Post by randy »

As restrictions to places legal for CCW have been removed in legislation, other parts of the law that required posting of Criminal Protection Zone signs have not been updated.

From the Buckeye Firearms Association:
"No Guns Signs"

The requirement to post "no guns" signs has caused problems since it first passed. Labor law compliance sign companies can't figure out Ohio law, so the simple solution is to include the "no guns" signs in the packages they send to Ohio businesses.

Businesses can't understand the law, so they post all the signs they receive in their package. Many post signs they are not required to, and don't want to.

Many schools have authorized people to carry firearms, but they are still required to post the signs. Other schools recognize the signs are an invitation to mass killers that they have a large collection of people who would be easy to kill. They want to get rid of the signs.

In March, concealed carry became legal in some government buildings and colleges, but those places are still required to post, even if they have chosen to allow otherwise. The law is contradictory and confusing. HB 228 would eliminate the requirement to post signs, but still permit the posting by any entity that chooses to do so.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Thanks for the clarification. Didn't really expect they would require criminal protection zones to post signs considering how many are jumping at the chance to advertise. The fact that they can authorize people in CPZs was odd as well.