Am I The Asshole?

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Re: Am I The Asshole?

Post by Vonz90 »

skb12172 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:17 pm
Vonz90 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:51 pm Dude, do not get personal and do not make waves. Make your point politely, thank the other side for their insight and move on.

Actually, considering the profession, try to think of better arguments for the opposite point of view too.
Good advice, of course. Do you think I crossed the line?
Hard to say, from your description I would say no, because I have been in more heated debates in a Bible study class. However, picking up the mood of the room from text is next to impossible (nevermind the culture of the class/school).

That said, if they are bringing in administers over it, tone it down is the message I would get
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Vonz90 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:25 am
Vonz90 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:51 pm Dude, do not get personal and do not make waves. Make your point politely, thank the other side for their insight and move on.

Actually, considering the profession, try to think of better arguments for the opposite point of view too.
Hard to say, from your description I would say no, because I have been in more heated debates in a Bible study class. However, picking up the mood of the room from text is next to impossible (nevermind the culture of the class/school).

That said, if they are bringing in administers over it, tone it down is the message I would get
I'm the one who brought administration into it when I went over the professor's head. That was for a variety of issues. Not only does she micromanage our discussions to a ridiculous degree, she keeps altering the syllabus at the drop of a hat. Furthermore, according to the tutor I have hired, who is a well-known, local family law attorney, all of the templates and examples this professor is using bear no resemblance to how family law is currently practiced in this area. My tutor said she would be embarrassed to put her signature to one of these motion templates and in fact would refuse to file anything that looked like these examples she is requiring us to use. Does that help clarify things?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Yes, it means she should not be teaching an intensely important, and lucrative part of the profession. And, again, I question why a law school would have the subject being taught by anyone other than an experienced family law practitioner. Is there another offering being taught by one? Could you use the kerfluffle to be transferred into it?

Now, I worked my way through law school, so I might have a bit of a different perspective, but work out how much each lecture is costing you, (include both the fee, and your time.) - is this course a valid use of your time? It doesn't sound like it.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

skb12172 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:55 pm
Vonz90 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:25 am

I'm the one who brought administration into it when I went over the professor's head. That was for a variety of issues. Not only does she micromanage our discussions to a ridiculous degree, she keeps altering the syllabus at the drop of a hat. Furthermore, according to the tutor I have hired, who is a well-known, local family law attorney, all of the templates and examples this professor is using bear no resemblance to how family law is currently practiced in this area. My tutor said she would be embarrassed to put her signature to one of these motion templates and in fact would refuse to file anything that looked like these examples she is requiring us to use. Does that help clarify things?
I don't know, but I would generally say if you are concerned, then you are probably right to be concerned and take appropriate action. Just remember, the only winning argument in the end is the one that gets you the grade you need. The rest may be nice, but it is trivia without the grade.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

This is in law school? Nothing you’ve reported on seems beyond the pale in moot court. If you’re too much for these snowflakes to handle now, all I can say is wait until they’re lawyers and opposing someone with a client whose ass is on the line for real money. By contrast you are merely a sparring partner.
Sheeesh!
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

The instructor for this course is an adjunct who happens to have a JD. Her main gig is director of donations and giving for the University, for which she is paid $64,000 per year. Obviously, we aren't dealing with Perry Mason, here.

This was finally resolved by the Dean, who told the chair to let me drop the course and replace it with an independent study project which would be supervised by a different professor. Even though the chair ended up with egg on her face too, she recently awarded me with a competitive, departmental scholarship so I guess she doesn't hold a grudge. Of course, I have a 4.0, so denying me that scholarship would've been a slamdunk retaliation case.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Precision

Post by Precision »

some people are douchbags. Much greater density in the legal "profession". Multiply that by the teaching profession and add one feminazi into the mix. Yup, you are a horrible monster by fact of natural penis. Just imagine if they knew you were a gun owner.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Vonz90 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:51 pm

I think it's known at the "Casting pearls before swine line."
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

skb12172 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:23 pm This was finally resolved by the Dean, who told the chair to let me drop the course and replace it with an independent study project which would be supervised by a different professor. Even though the chair ended up with egg on her face too, she recently awarded me with a competitive, departmental scholarship so I guess she doesn't hold a grudge. Of course, I have a 4.0, so denying me that scholarship would've been a slamdunk retaliation case.
Huzzah on several levels. For the resolution, for the scholarship and for your "scholarship" in carrying a 4.0.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story