Am I The Asshole?

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
g-man

Re: Am I The Asshole?

Post by g-man »

So apparently the department chair wants the school to pay for your education...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

In a twisted way, I see her point. To her, I'm a nuisance that will soon become somebody else's problem. Also, no settlement will come out of her pocket. A typical government bureaucrat attitude. An ethical, good educator? Not so much.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Honestly, you should leave that law school. Law is a trade, and there seems to be little emphasis on that aspect, if the soft-headedness described is typical.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

It's not. She is the first like this I have encountered. I have also had a class taught by the chair, in which I received an A. I think her actions now are described as CYA for a colleague and the department. If it helps to understand, this "professor" is an adjunct. She hasn't practiced in over 20 years. Her main gig is as Director of Giving for the school. In other words, a professional begger.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Ah - pretty much, avoid/ignore any academic law professors you can find. By definition, they are professional failures.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

BDK wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:05 pm Ah - pretty much, avoid/ignore any academic law professors you can find. By definition, they are professional failures.
What about Glenn "Instapundit" Reynolds? Eugene Volokh? Randy Barnett? Honestly, I'd be happy with any one of them on SCOTUS.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
BDK

Post by BDK »

Never met them, personally. Law school is a trade school. A trade is best learned by masters in the craft. I do not know the professional reputation of those men, but I stand by my poaitiob that academics do not teach a trade well, regardless of their intelligence, and politics.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Dude, do not get personal and do not make waves. Make your point politely, thank the other side for their insight and move on.

Actually, considering the profession, try to think of better arguments for the opposite point of view too.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Vonz90 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:51 pm Dude, do not get personal and do not make waves. Make your point politely, thank the other side for their insight and move on.

Actually, considering the profession, try to think of better arguments for the opposite point of view too.
Good advice, of course. Do you think I crossed the line?
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

You did cross a line. But that line was not placed where it should have been. The line has been moved to the spot that says you are a man and thus always wrong.