In My Law School Class

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
BDK

Re: In My Law School Class

Post by BDK »

At least at one time, in Virginia, you could still "read" for the bar - the most common old method required an apprenticeship to a lawyer, for a few years, before you took the bar exam, so it was never just "take the test and pass."

Not sure if you pass the bar in VA, without attending an accredited law school, that you'd be eligible to take the bar in another state.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Odds are, if you're fairly bright, and really motivated, and take BARBRI, you can pass the bar, without law school... Now, how you'd practice, without a network of other lawyers to crib from/borrow forms off, etc I'm not so sure...
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

California has a three tier system of law schools. There are three types. 1. Nationally accredited' 2. State of California accredited, 3. non-accredited. Sit through a course of study at a nationally accredited school and you can sit for the bar in any state. Sit through a course at a State-accredited law school and you have to take the bar in California and practice for five years before you can take the bar and practice in any other state. Sit through the course of study at an unaccredited law school (Abraham Lincoln Law School or University of LaVerne Law School, in Los Angeles, or Western State Law School in Orange County) and you not only have to stay in California for five years, you have to take what is known as the "Baby Bar", a test administered by the California Bar to ensure that the law school you write checks to in exchange for letting you hear lectures is not just taking your money.

In some states you can sit for the bar if a lawyer admitted in that state is willing to train you for X number of years. I recall that someone did that in California in the 80's.
The back story on "Catch Me If You Can" included the news that in Louisiana one did not need to have gone to law school to pass the bar, and Abignale sat for the bar there without attending law school or supposedly studying, and passed.

It is my understanding that the idea of a lawyer going to school for a law degree gained momentum in the 20's at the same time most local and state bar associations were founded, to make the craft more of a profession. With Trevor law group and Gloria Allred in Southern California, among others, we can see how well that worked.

Until around 1960 a lawyer would earn an L.L.B*, which necessitated one year of lower division college work, one year of upper division, and three years of law school. I knew someone in 1974-5 who was going that route, and someone else in 1976-77. Both in Southern California, incidentally.

* Legum Baccalaureus, known to its holders as a "Leather Lunch Box"
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:14 pm I once had someone ask what I would do with myself if money were not an issue. I told him I would probably go to law school because that’s how I can maximize my nuisance value.
I understand and agree. That's why Gatewood Galbraith went to law school. He and I are graduates of the same high school and college and he is a long time hero of mine.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Meanwhile, Former Att. General endorses violence against opponents: https://news.grabien.com/story-eric-hol ... -kick-them
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

This won't turn out to his liking.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Threadjack:
The Son&Heir has decided to infiltrate the school system. He went straight from Marine Corps to College in 2014and wrapped a BS ME this spring. He has had an epiphany and change of calling some time last year. NOw he is in the queue to get into a teaching credentialing program. Wants to teach middle school or high school math.

He started substitute teaching this week. First class assigned? Middle school history. And he a history buff/died in the wool Constitutionalist. Bwhahahahah. Little do they know...

Only sent 2 kids to the principle all day -- good construction and soccer field Spanish skills supported by some formal Spanish goes a long way to keep a lid on things in a semi-ghetto SoCal school.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
BDK

Post by BDK »

I'd give the Marine Corps some credit as well...
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

First Shirt wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:43 pm If you don't go to law school, can you still take the bar exam? And if you do, and pass it, can you be a lawyer?
In many states, yes. Anyone could sit for the Louisiana bar at least into the early seventies, as mentioned in the Leonardo Da Calrio film, “Catch Me If You Can”, and in California, if you studied individually with a lawyer you can sit for the bar, although that is rarely used nowadays. I recall a rumor that someone qualified to take the bar exam that way in the late 80’s, but I don’t recall the outcome.
As an aside, a. L.L.B. Degree is given where the recipient does not have a bachelor’s degree, which is a sort of prerequisite for the J.D. In my checkered past I know two people who were working towards the L.L.B.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy