In My Law School Class

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
skb12172

In My Law School Class

Post by skb12172 »

I see how the indoctrination of the left, especially in the schools, has done its job. It isn't even the millennials. There are plenty of non-traditional students in their mid-thirties up to age fifty. 99% of the time, it is the women. They are all for statist, intrusive laws, because

"I'm perfectly willing to give up some rights and liberties for safety because, y'know, 9/11 and whatnot. I mean, I'd hate for there to be another big terrorist attack we could have prevented."

And, presumably, these people vote, serve on juries, etc. Every time I quote one of the founders to refute their bullshit, the response is either incomprehension, having never learned this stuff in History or Civics in school, or they just dismiss it because it's obsolete stuff some dead, white guy (you know, the same people who built modern society) came up with.

If this is representative of the electorate, and I'm becoming more and more convinced it is, we are well and truly fucked as a Republic. I dunno, maybe some type of Byzantine Republic will spring up and endure for awhile, when the greater USA goes full totalitarian.

One bright spot is this. Assuming everyone becomes an attorney and passes the bar, facing these people in court will be like shooting fish in a barrel. The indoctrination is not their only issue. Piss-poor writing, lack of reading comprehension, and general lack of logic is rampant. Keep in mind, this isn't some shit school. This program is rated #4 in the nation.

And Jesus wept...
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Jered

Re: In My Law School Class

Post by Jered »

We had a prosecutor here that was found in contempt because she COULD NOT SHOW UP FOR COURT.

WTF.

So, yeah, be a defense attorney.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
BDK

Post by BDK »

If a gold meteor hits, and I become a billionaire, establishing libertarian chairs at law school, will be a priority.

There's a reason why Richard III* said, "Kill all the lawyers" (*In Shakespeare), and why Castro did.

The Commies have already conquered the teachers, and have many of the lawyers. They finish them off, and we're in serious trouble, as a Republic.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I once had someone ask what I would do with myself if money were not an issue. I told him I would probably go to law school because that’s how I can maximize my nuisance value.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
BDK

Post by BDK »

Oh, a feral lawyer, who does not care about his license, can be a dangerous thing, no doubt. It would be an excellent retirement project for curmudgeons...
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

BDK wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:46 pm If a gold meteor hits, and I become a billionaire, establishing libertarian chairs at law school, will be a priority.
Look for candidates who are members of the Federalist Society and/or the Institute for Humane Studies (and maybe the Acton Institute too). Also: talk to Randy Barnett at Georgetown. Odds are he knows some people. 8-)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
g-man

Post by g-man »

Gross oversimplification follows... but it's useful:

The thing that I find so funny is that historically, Esquire indicated that one was a shield bearer, or squire for a knight. Squires could be sent in lieu of their lord for passing of information, negotiating of terms, etc, etc. They did the bidding of the knight, who was the one with power in this scenario. They held more authority than serfs, as they were acting on behalf of their lord, but the lord was whence the power and authority originated.

Today, we all think it's the lawyers who have the power. Granted, they're the ones who are trained to file the papers which can involve and invoke the power of the State, but they should be acting on someone else's behalf. However, in many cases they're almost like a bad flavor of ronin, who have no master and then get the State to wield power on their own behalf.

More power to you brother. Go be a good one, since those seem very few, and very far between. I know and have worked with a handful of stellar lawyers (my JAG rep when I was in command, for one), but they're exceedingly rare.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
BDK

Post by BDK »

So, history is a weird thing - and that lawyers came to use Esq is odd.

At a more recent time, it was to indicate who the heir was to a "squire," as people used to borrow against their "expectation"

The reason for it was that many professionals worked out of their homes, and most homes had servants, etc - and all professionals had secretaries.

If a letter was addressed to XYZ, it was private. If it was addressed, XYZ, esq it was a professional letter, and to be handled accordingly.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Most lawyers did not go to law school, until about the 1950s, and even so, you can have a JD, but not be a lawyer.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

If you don't go to law school, can you still take the bar exam? And if you do, and pass it, can you be a lawyer?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom