Methodist Church Goes Political

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
skb12172

Methodist Church Goes Political

Post by skb12172 »

I hope they lose their tax-exempt status. I've never heard of a Methodist being excommunicated. :roll:
http://www.newsweek.com/united-methodis ... ren-984006
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Re: Methodist Church Goes Political

Post by Weetabix »

Dude, I think they went political years ago. Or at least SJW.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

The Methodist Church has been an out and out supporter of terrorism for decades. They knowingly provided employment, funds, and legal protection for the FALN in the 70s.

And that's just shit that *I* know about, who knows what else.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

I attended a Methodist Church til the late 1980's at which time the "Minister" of the national church preached a sermon accusing members of the NRA of belonging to a "criminal organization" (you could look it up...) After he refused to retract that I quit them then and immediately. Our minister at the time said words to the effect that "it was no big deal as we didn't send them much money anyway"....at that point I said goodbye.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I had a co-worker who was Methodist, he said a lot of ministers preach that the Resurrection didn't happen and "it doesn't cause a problem". Ummm, pastor, the Resurrection IS the whole point of Christianity, so if denying it doesn't cause a problem, there's a problem.

Then again, I'm Episcopalian (for now), and while my parish follows traditional Christian doctrine (which oft puts us at odds with the Diocese), I've got no room to talk about anyone ELSE'S church.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I'm Episcopalian, too. These days, it seems as if we might as well be Unitarian. Of course, I think all of the mainstream churches have jumped the shark. They are more social clubs than anything.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Churches fail either into social clubs (Presbyterians are the stereotype for this, which have a high entry fee), or PACs (Methodists are here. Frankly, there's quite a few Methodist - at least the preachers, etc whom reject the idea of Christianity, IMO.)
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

LCMS: not really any politics*, just law and gospel.

* the vast majority of the pastors are conservative, but they keep it out of their sermons. I have visited some with more liberal pastors where it creeps in, but that is not at all common. At the synod level it is rock solid.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

That's because it's the Missouri Synod. The ELCA is an entirely different animal.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm not a fan of Sessions, but if he makes a public statement telling them to get stuffed, I'd be willing to reconsider
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander