Boulder becomes California light

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Rod

Boulder becomes California light

Post by Rod »

Seems Boulder City Council hasn't read the U.S. Constitution OR the Colorado statutes. Already a lawsuit in the works. They tried (LOL) to make it more palatable to gun owners though. https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/15/b ... an-passes/
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Weetabix

Re: Boulder becomes California light

Post by Weetabix »

Jackasses. From a linked article in your article:
But city attorneys and police officers are under no delusion that the ban will be enforceable on any broad scale.
"I can't imagine a way to do proactive enforcement," Carr said. "Obviously, there's no circumstance where we go door-to-door and ask people if they've violated the law. So, I think it would mostly be responsive."
Hm. Sez you, now. We'll see what you "evolve" to.
Carr's fully expecting a significant amount of non-compliance.
Ya think?
At no point during the council's deliberations on the ordinance have any of the nine members suggested that Boulder might easily be able to execute a full wipe of the items the city may soon ban. Consistently, supporters of the proposal have suggested that it's a worthwhile endeavor if it makes purchasing a dangerous weapon a bit harder for someone intent on doing harm.
Like driving one town over? I can't see how that's much of a deterrent.
"I think there are teeth to it," he said. "I don't think it's symbolic if it saves a life. And it's designed to try to save a life."
If it's not enforceable and the cops don't even plan to enforce it, it's symbolic. I think they'd save more lives banning cars and alcohol.
John Ramey is a Boulderite who, via Councilwoman Mirabai Nagle, pushed a last-minute alternative proposal to the council's law. Nagle presented his concept, which stripped away the "ban" aspect of the draft and offered a new approach based largely on promoting the certification of more safe and educated gun owners in Boulder.

The council was mostly unreceptive to the idea, which barely saw daylight during the May 1 deliberation, and will almost certainly not be revisited when the council takes up the issue again on Tuesday.
Can't do anything that might actually help. Every measure Must! Be! Symbolic!
Said Ramey, in an email about the likely effect of the proposed law, "By definition, effective governing must be practical and enforceable. When something isn't enforceable, like the war on drugs, that's a huge sign that the underlying legal model doesn't match the actual problems and realities.

"At best, ineffective laws just displace or morph the problem. Mass shootings declined after Australia's weapons ban, but gun-related crimes doubled in just five years. In countries like the UK and China, they now deal with daily fear of acid, knife, and vehicle attacks."
As usual, any reasonable thought is buried at the end.

I weep for our future.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I'm not surprised, I know several people who retired to Boulder City.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Oh, they'll enforce it...just not against everyone, and not all at once.

It'll be a throw-in charge, when there are autres pour les encouager (sorry for the mangled French). The Miracle of Selective Enforcement is one of the more useful miracles...from a certain point of view.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Until it's eventually thrown out after the inevitable lawsuits run their course.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.