The ATF is racist, sexist, and ableist

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered

The ATF is racist, sexist, and ableist

Post by Jered »

ANTIOCH, TN (WSMV) - An Antioch man was arrested and charged by federal agents for making false statements in an attempt to purchase a firearm after he was flagged by two local police for erratic behavior and interest in ISIS and mass shootings.
No, really.

They'll allow a rich, white, woman who "knew exactly what she was doing" violate the NFA on video for the whole wide world to see, not do a damn thing about it other than "investigate."

But heaven forbid, a crazy black guy guess wrong on a Form 4473.

Seriously, I'm fucking sick white fucking hipster liberal dipshits who don't are just fucking stupid getting a fucking free pass, but some crazy son of a bitch who probably doesn't know what the fuck he's doing is getting prosecuted.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
D5CAV

Re: The ATF is racist, sexist, and ableist

Post by D5CAV »

That sounds like a good reason to abolish the BATFE.

Maybe we can get the NAACP and KKK to cross the aisle and lend bi-partisan support to abolishing the ATF: http://www.hypocritae.com/National/naac ... klan-join/
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The sequence of events presented in the article doesn't make any sense, and I suspect that your outrage stems from the author's incompetence rather than any wrongdoing on the part of law enforcement.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote:The sequence of events presented in the article doesn't make any sense, and I suspect that your outrage stems from the author's incompetence rather than any wrongdoing on the part of law enforcement.
No, I just saw this story.
Since those complaints involved federal law, Kuehn said, the ATF had to handle any follow-up. The department told the federal agency it could pick up the weapon anytime. City police don’t know whether an investigation is underway. As of Tuesday, the broken weapon was still in a Beach police storage lockup.
No, I saw this story, and it's got me fucking pissed.

Evidently the ATF doesn't believe that it's a crime to manufacture a short barreled rifle if you're a connected white, liberal woman.

If you or I did that, we would be in federal prison.

Of course, in the Karen Mallard situation, the ATF is in a lose-lose situation here, though. If they arrest her, they look bad to the gun banners because the gun banners don't think she did anything wrong. If they don't arrest her, they look bad to the liberty minded folks because it looks like they don't actually care about enforcing the NFA. Thereby, it undermines the NFA because of their lack of enforcement of its provisions because manufacturing a short barreled rifle is a strict liability crime.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I see. I'm honestly just amazed you were able to dig up a case where they chose to prosecute due to falsification of a 4473, given how rarely they actually do that. I think the free pass for creating an illegal SBR under politically acceptable circumstances has pretty much all of us pissed off, so I was more focused on why the outrage over some whack-job koranimal being denied his purchases and prosecuted.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Nah. I'm pissed that the ATF isn't arresting the whack job lib who violated the NFA.

Today, my project is to figure out which Congressional committee has oversight of the ATF and write them a letter about that.
g-man

Post by g-man »

What she made meets the definition of a 'Firearm' under the NFA:

26 USC Chapter 53 § 5845(a)
Firearm. The term 'firearm' means...(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall
length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;...
She 'made' it:

26 USC Chapter 53 § 5845(i)
Make. The term 'make', and the various derivatives of such word, shall include manufacturing
(other than by one qualified to engage in such business under this chapter), putting together, altering,
any combination of these, or otherwise producing a firearm.
Doing so is a prohibited act:

26 USC Chapter 53 § 5861
Prohibited acts.
It shall be unlawful for any person ...
(f) to make a firearm in violation of the provisions of this chapter;...
Which leads to:

26 USC Chapter 53 § 5871
Penalties.
Any person who violates or fails to comply with any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction,
be fined not more than $10,000, or be imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
Which, gentlemen, when combined with the video of our Wannabe Congresscritter, is prima facie evidence of a felony-level violation of black-letter federal law. Note there is NO discussion in the statute of intent, reasons, follow-on actions, etc. That she did any of it for 'politically permissible reasons' is irrelevant. If any of us had made the same video (minus the anti-gun rant) and titled it "How to make a SBR", we'd already be under the jail. Somebody needs to wake up AG Naps-a-lot and get him to sic the dogs on her.

ETA: That the aforementioned 26USC chapter is blatantly unconstitutional is a legitimate defense, as we'd all likely argue. But likely not a route she'd like to go down, as it'd mean I'd be able to purchase a Thompson at a reasonable cost, without all the associated taxes, registration, and bullshit oversight. Just sayin.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Jered

Post by Jered »

G-man, can I steal your material for a letter to the House Judiciary Committee?

The ATF has an oversight hearing on March 30.
Jered

Post by Jered »

G-man, can I steal your material for a letter to the House Judiciary Committee?

Edit: Dammit! That oversight hearing was last year.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Steal away, even if it’s just to write congresscritters individually instead of the Judiciary Committee.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum